Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ram  (Read 2269 times)

olarwummy

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Ram
    « on: August 25, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »
    good day,, pls i have 2 ram,, one is 2gb ram, while the other is 4gb ram,, pls am totally confused on each one to put first,, should i put the 4gb first or the other,,, cos my system brroser is not functioning since i inserted the two ram, i mean both ram(2gb and 4gb ram)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Ram
    « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 11:09:22 PM »
    First of all the OS needs to be 64-bt to be able to address 6GB. Next the RAM needs to work in harmony as a mismatched pair. Memtest86 will point out if the sticks dont like each other. Sometimes its one stick or the other but not both together of mismatched sticks.

If it passes about 5 full tests of memtest86 then your good to go, otherwise run it off that single 4GB stick and try to find a same stick to that 4GB stick and go for 8GB of dual channel mode vs 6GB of single channel.

https://www.memtest86.com/

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Ram
    « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
    to answer your question, the order doesn't matter.
    what does is what Dave stated, a 32bit PC will only read a maximum of 4GB's, but more importantly is what the motherboard can handle.
    how many slots, single channel mode, dual channel mode.

I take it you only had 1 stick, now you're adding another?

what sort of RAM, make, model, DRR2 3 or 4, hertz?
    and look up the mobo specs to see what it can handle.