Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please help if you are good with computers  (Read 3519 times)

Robert Farmer

Please help if you are good with computers
« on: August 02, 2004, 05:39:00 PM »
My computer is an HP 6746c Desktop (purchased in 2001 haha) and it came with windows ME.  I did not like ME at all and so recently I upgraded to windows XP home.  Everything was going well until i decided to run my recovery CD from windows ME to reinstall some program.  Long story short, I no longer have an operating system on my computer.  I cannnot install windows XP home again because it requires a previous version of windows to run.  I would like to either reinstall any windows so i can use the computer again, OR some how copy the data from the hard drive and then just reformat the entire thing and start new.  Any suggestions?

Raptor

Re: Please help if you are good with computers
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 04:23:05 AM »
If I understand you correctly, you:

• Have only an XP upgrade disk in your possession
  • You downgraded from XP to ME by using the recovery disk

Correct?

I suggest you format and then see if the recovery disk (I assume it is an OEM version of Windows ME?) to be installed first and from there (If you wish) upgrade to XP.

However, before you do that, you can take out the hard disk, set it to slave and install it on another computer so you can safely make backups of files you wish to keep.

merlin_2

Re: Please help if you are good with computers
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 03:14:18 PM »
load wime boot disk in chose start pc with cdrom support load the r/c disk in  at the command prompt e:\setup then load wixp disk to upgrade..or you could dual boot ..if you wish to playgames or old software save the cash that winxp will not play..just an idea..which will you go for fat32 or nfts..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 03:18:28 PM by merlin_2 »