Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: video causing ie and windows to crash?  (Read 4032 times)

Jbrigden

video causing ie and windows to crash?
« on: August 02, 2004, 05:55:29 PM »
I am having trouble with internet explorer and windows crashing. Started with macromedia flash games causing ie to shut down, now windows xp is locking up when started. Have gotten such messages as "error caused by graphics device driver" and computer shutting shutting down due to a code -1073741819.
Could my video card (nvidia geforce2) be dying and causing these problems? Or is it something else?
Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ie, macromedia flash.
Thanks for help

jbrigden

Re: video causing ie and windows to crash?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 06:10:23 PM »
further info, it seems my kids have had other problems. when loading command and conquer the computer was locking up. also today it did this starting up quicke. All my fans are working and did clean out the dust last night (did it about a month ago last)

Raptor

Re: video causing ie and windows to crash
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 04:18:00 AM »
Please Read This First - Viruses & Spyware

I suggest you install the programs recommended by the administrator.

Your problem could be caused by numberous reasons. You say your children make use of the computer, perhaps they downloaded a file that was infected. Or perhaps it was due to inadequate security and a Trojan was downloaded.

• What type of security is installed?

Updating Windows may help, so may cleaning your registry and removing redundant files.

• Have you downloaded all the necessary components?

Useful programs:

Iolo (System Mechanic)
Regseeker
Advanced System Optimizer

I suggest you install these programs and see if you can solve it. If not, you can always post or use the Format C: Command and come back in a year or so when the problems arise again. It is very important that you take adequate measures against problems that may arise by having such software as recommended here installed to counter problems that may occur.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 04:18:48 AM by Raptor »

MalikTous

Re: video causing ie and windows to crash?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 10:05:41 AM »
If you continue to have problems after checking for virus and spyware infections, try opening the Display applet (right click on the desktop) and selecting the Settings tab, then reducing the colour depth (use 16 bit colour vice 24 or 32) and/or disabling hardware acceleration on the adaptor. You can also try limitting the AGP speed.

merlin_2

« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 02:11:55 PM by merlin_2 »