Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor repeatedly goes blank  (Read 3190 times)

alanaim

Monitor repeatedly goes blank
« on: December 04, 2005, 05:54:46 PM »
My monitor repeatedly goes blank after a few seconds of displaying. The picture will reappear after the monitor is turned off and on but the time it stays good gets less and less after turning it off and on. I swapped monitors with another computer and the problems persisted. The monitor does not switch off on its own, the screen just goes black. It is a Sony  SDM-HS73 TFT LCD Color Computer Display. Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 06:31:11 PM by alanaim »

GX1_Man

Re: Monitor repeatedly goes blank
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 08:27:35 PM »
I would remove and reseat the video card if present. If it is an onboard chip, try reinstalling the correct drivers.

Be sure and power off first and unplug the cable!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 09:07:06 PM »
    I swapped monitors with another computer and the problems persisted.

Did you put the blank monitor on to another computer or a good monitor on to the blank computer.
    The result should tell us if the monitor is at fault or the computer is at fault.

Alan Aimer

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 06:57:53 AM »
    The problem persists with the monitor on a different computer so it appears to be a monitor problem. I also checked the affected computer with a different monitor and the monitor worked fine.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 12:22:09 PM »
      To the fixit shop with this one.  :(

sully211

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 09:26:09 AM »
      I have a similiar situation with a 19" 900 VX Viewsonic. It dimmed for about one second and then went black. Power led was still on. I could turn it off and then on and screen would appear dimmed briefly and then go black. I changed all the cords and it still did it. I put it on a different computer and the problem persisted. Does this sound familiar?
      I think the problem is caused by the backlight inverter board for the lcd monitor. I have priced one for about 80 bucks and am thinking of replacing it myself. Check out this site http-www.lcdpart.com.
      By the way, I wish to thank Viewsonic for all their non-help in this situation. Despite repeated e-mails and phone calls they refuse to even try to diagnose this problem since the warranty was for only one year.

alanaim

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 06:33:58 PM »
      Thanks for the tip. My monitor does the same thing. I'll check it out and see if I can get it fixed this weekend. :)