Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Power but system won't boot  (Read 2631 times)

Erics3117

Power but system won't boot
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:11:22 PM »
I was playing a game and my computer clicked off.  It won't power back up.  The light on the motherboard is still on so I felt I could eliminate the power supply as the problem.  My next guess was the RAM.  But, before I went out and bought some more I thought I'd get some opinions.  Am I on the right track?  Thanks!

GX1_Man

Re: Power but system won't boot
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 09:24:24 PM »
I would not rule out the power supply. As a matter of fact, that is the first place I would check.

Frankie

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    « Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 05:43:19 AM »
    After you have tried swapping out the psu, Have you tried reseating your ram and if you have more then one stick try taken one out leaving the other in, then swap them around.

Are the fans spinning in your computer.
    « Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 05:45:35 AM by Frankie »

Erics3117

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 11:49:55 AM »
    Nope, none of the fans are spinning.  If I turn the power supply off and back on from the back and press the power button on the front everything jolts for a split second but thats it.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 12:06:26 PM »
    Case closed. As suggested earlier, start by replacing that, adn don't skimp. A $9.99 power supply is not adequate for components you want to protect and run correctly.

Erics3117

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2005, 12:31:42 PM »
    Ya it is the power supply.  I forgot about an older system I had in the back closet.  I swapped them and it worked.  Don't worry, I don't go cheap on my parts.  Thanks for your help guys!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 10:02:11 PM »
    Don't rely on that closet PSU for too long, being older it's probably not enough for a newer machine.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "