Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Gaming PC build help  (Read 2884 times)

Antoine_trnr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Gaming PC build help
    « on: November 22, 2017, 10:11:15 AM »
    Hey im thinking of putting together a Ryzen gaming PC and im looking for a bit of advice on what parts to go for. So far ive decided on the below

Case: Mid tower or Micro depending on the size
    Mobo: Still undecided but id like it to be SLI t o add another gpu at some point
    GPU: GTX 1050ti 4gb
    CPU Ryzen 5 1600
    Ram: Advice needed
    PSU: Advice needed

HD+ SSD drive

Im hoping to keep the price around £600ish

So what do you think?
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:35:16 AM by Antoine_trnr »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Gaming PC build help
    « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:12:39 AM »
    Include your budget for better responses...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:50:49 PM »
    based on your SLI potential requirement and who-knows-what future needs, you can probably rule out micro cases.

as to RAM, I'd go min 8GB and PSU, min 600watt.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 04:15:28 PM »
    PSU, min 600watt.
    Overkill.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 05:54:47 PM »
    Overkill.

Wrong...please don't advise without details...

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 06:13:32 PM »
    600W is a good minimum. Leaves room for future upgrades.

A dual 1050Ti system with a Ryzen 1500 and a  typical setup (SSD, 8GB RAM, one HDD and an optical drive) would draw around 350W.

So Geek-9pm is right that a 600W supply would be "overkill". Just get a 450W supply, right?

it's only "overkill" if you ignore the future. Which is specifically what the 600W advice isn't ignoring- With 450W, You have no room for upgrades. Let's say a few years down the line they decide to upgrade. They decide to get a Ryzen 5 1600X, and opt to replace the 1050Ti's with two 1070's.

That setup would draw around 530W under load. At best OP figures out the issue and now they've bought two power supplies- a 450W and a 600W which they could have bought to start with. At worst, they are diagnosing weird BSODs that appear under load, or mysterious shutdowns. Or maybe the power supply explodes and causes a catastrophic house fire which spreads to a nearby orphanarium of not just babies but baby nuns. Who can we blame? That's right. Geek-9pm.

Do you want that responsibility? No power supply is overkill when baby nuns lives are at stake.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
    As far as i am concerned it was not a responsible reply...
    His system may not require 600 W.
    However having more than you may need as opposed to being short down the road is always a better choice.

Course i'll probably get admonished because of his extensive engineering degree over the years...but he shouldn't be advising on builds without thinking things thru...

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:43:59 PM »
    600W is a good minimum. Leaves room for future upgrades.

A dual 1050Ti system with a Ryzen 1500 and a  typical setup (SSD, 8GB RAM, one HDD and an optical drive) would draw around 350W.

So Geek-9pm is right that a 600W supply would be "overkill". Just get a 450W supply, right?

it's only "overkill" if you ignore the future. Which is specifically what the 600W advice isn't ignoring- With 450W, You have no room for upgrades. Let's say a few years down the line they decide to upgrade. They decide to get a Ryzen 5 1600X, and opt to replace the 1050Ti's with two 1070's.

That setup would draw around 530W under load. At best OP figures out the issue and now they've bought two power supplies- a 450W and a 600W which they could have bought to start with. At worst, they are diagnosing weird BSODs that appear under load, or mysterious shutdowns. Or maybe the power supply explodes and causes a catastrophic house fire which spreads to a nearby orphanarium of not just babies but baby nuns. Who can we blame? That's right. Geek-9pm.

Do you want that responsibility? No power supply is overkill when baby nuns lives are at stake.
    The OP implied he has a limited budget

Using that 'more is better' kind of logic, just tell him to get a 1500 watt power supply. But that is all he would have. Never mind buying anything else, just get the biggest possible PSU and maybe someday save up enough money to finish the project.

My point was that the GPU he wants, if it is the new version, does not every take over 100 watts of power anytime. So 600 watts is overkill.

He said "GTX 1050ti 4gb. "
    One source says "Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 300. Which means that is does work with 300 watts.  As for the BSOD, that is part of the fun.

So 450 to 500 watts would be a good choice. He will never ever need more unless he goes way beyond his budget. Like more RAM he could never use.

Just trying to help.   :)
    EDIT: The  CPU Ryzen 5 1600 will be on sale Friday in the USA. 

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 07:53:24 PM »
    I give up...

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
    Oh God, why do I now have a mental picture of baby nuns in nappies fleeing from a burning building.   :o 8)

but, yes, 600watts for his current needs may be considered overkill but the OP does mention SLI possibilities.
    if budget starts winning over specs, then yes, that's one component that can be reduced to 450 or 500watts.
    but, really, the price difference between them is slight anyway, and if you start scrimping when building, you simply end up with a rig you'll never quite like.

I build to requirements, not to a budget.
    if you want/need 600watts (just as an example) but can only afford 450watt and the $AUD15 difference is a show-stopper than I suggest waiting until the budget builds up, prices drop, you sell a kidney or you had unrealistic expectations to start with.  :D

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »
    At least IMO, it is not worth skimping on the power supply to fit within a hard set budget. If a build has already been pared back so far that one is considering getting a cheaper PSU to fit a needed price point, then the endeavour probably needs a bigger budget for the desired goals anyway.

Their budget is tight but I think it makes more sense to leave out the HDD initially and instead get it later when funds permit than to opt for a less capable power supply from the start, particularly given their SLI intention. Of course Power Supplies can be upgraded too but upgrading from a 450W to a 600W supply will cost perhaps 45 in addition to the initial 30 pounds of the 450W supply, And now you have a 450W supply you aren't using.

If one was really desperate, a 1x4GB RAM stick could even serve as a starting point instead. You can add 4GB sticks over time to get a maximum of 16GB in a 4-slot system, without having excess components or "double-dipping" on parts for upgrades down the line.

here is a build I slapped together that is just barely within budget. No idea if shipping costs are involved on top of that either. Still includes an HDD Which could be removed as well to save about 40 bucks for the initial COG. Lots of options for cutting back costs and I think the Power Supply should be one of the few parts where that doesn't happen unless it is part of the intent, Except for things like non-modular over modular or if the selected PSU is ridiculously excessive for reasonable future upgrades.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:42:44 PM »
    BC, I think 450 watt is the conservative and salable design for his budget.
    Hey OP, are you still there?
    Do you really want SLI?
    Reference:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface
    Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU technology developed by Nvidia for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is a parallel processing algorithm for computer graphics, meant to increase the available processing power.[1] The initialism SLI was first used by 3dfx for Scan-Line Interleave, which was introduced to the consumer market in 1998 and used in the Voodoo2 line of video cards. After buying out 3dfx, Nvidia acquired the technology but did not use it. Nvidia later reintroduced the SLI name in 2004 and intended for it to be used in modern computer systems based on the PCI Express (PCIe) bus; however, the technology behind the name SLI has changed dramatically.
    So it is more of a name that a real technology.  8)
    Let me speak freely SLI  sucks , is a waste of money and is dying.
    Google: SLI Sucks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 11:38:28 PM »
    Interestingly, The 1050 Ti doesn't support SLI anyway. SLI requires a 1070 or higher in the "10" series of cards.

Without SLI as a requirement one can save a good bit on a motherboard.

However I think even lacking the SLI requirement, there is still reason to allow room for future upgrades, such as a 1070 in the future, rather than go with a lesser PSU because it strictly meets wattage requirements.