Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring Data from Old HDD to New HDD  (Read 2216 times)

StevenMal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Transferring Data from Old HDD to New HDD
    « on: November 24, 2017, 12:44:45 AM »
    I have the laptop in this video, a Sager NP-9377, from a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0vC8o1GDGw

I'd like to perform this upgrade for the HDD myself using this video so I don't have to pay for a service but I've never done this before. How would I transfer the data from my old, smaller HDDs to the new, larger capacity HDDs after I've removed the smaller HDD and replaced them with the larger capacity HDDs? Thank you.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Transferring Data from Old HDD to New HDD
    « Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 04:01:26 AM »
    you'll need to put the current drive from the laptop into a 2.5" SATA external enclosure.
    now the original drive is out of the laptop, put in the new one, install Windows and the standard programs, then connect the external enclosure.
    your old drive will show up in Windows Explorer, File Explorer (whatever Windows version you opt for) as the next available letter, so maybe E:\ or F:\ or so.
    go there, access your old Users folder, answer Yes to the 'permissions' warning and copy your docs, pics, music, videos, emails, contacts, bookmarks etc over.

or you could use disk imaging software, like Macrium Reflect.
    leave the old drive in the laptop, put the new drive in the enclosure and clone old to new.

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Transferring Data from Old HDD to New HDD
      « Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 11:39:20 AM »
      As your laptop can have up to 3 drives in various configurations, can you post a screen capture of the disk management screen. This will show how many drives the laptop has and how they are set-up.

Here's how to use disk management https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-disk-management-2626080

What drive/drives did you want to replace ?