Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: web server on a home pc  (Read 4278 times)

badben25

web server on a home pc
« on: December 15, 2005, 12:56:31 AM »
a friend told me that it was possible to set up a web server on my home pc. i mean, create my website and host it from my pc. he told me that there would me no problems, especially storage, as my computer's HDD would be the storage space. the only drawback i was told was that in order to make my site accessible all the time, i would have to remain online(i.e. connected to the internet) all the time. he also told me that what i needed was just Aprelium's Abyss Web Server X1 (aprelium.com) and something called No-IP DUC, and maybe(not importantly) some other tools. i was also told that all i had to do was create a site in Frontpage and host it thru Abyss Web Server X1. but because each time i connect my IP changes, i would have to use No-IP DUC. if any one has any details about this or if anyone could tell me how i could host a site from my PC step-by-step or if any one has any links related to this then plz reply on this forum. He (my friend) told me he could help me but i thought i should ask the professionals first. also, i live in the middle east so some stuff on the net is blocked here :(

i have a pretty powerful machine (built it myself) so i was thinking that if the above is possible then i might make my own website. if u need to know any specifications of my PC then plz specify exactly what u need to know. also, i wanted to know that because i am using Win2KPro, is there anything i need to do with IIS?

thanx in advance

Blackberry

Adviser
  • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
    Re: web server on a home pc
    « Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 07:11:31 AM »
    you would like to create an ftp-server, or really a web server to host websites?
    Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

go2doug1

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 07:46:02 AM »
    You would need to purchase a domain name and link it to your Web server's IP address. You should make sure with your ISP that they have given you a static IP address, not one that will change. Otherwise people won't be able to get to your site via the domain name.

Windows 2000 Professional doesn't have IIS installed by default so you would need to install it via the Add/Remove programs app.

Also verify with your ISP that they will let you run a Web server. I have heard that most ISP's won't let you do this because of the potential of huge bandwidth usage via the uploads that your Web server will be pushing out. Uploads consume more bandwidth than downloads.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
      • Me
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »
    Nah - no domains need be purchased and no static IP address is required.  Check out http://www.dyndns.org.  Read the FAQs there.  It will do exactly what you want.

I've never heard of Aprelium's Abyss Web Server X1; but why not just use IIS?  Or if you want an extremely responsive efficient webserver that is deployed on the majority of websites on the internet (and is free) go for Apache.  Apache configuration is done through text files though and not everyone is comfortable with that.

DO NOT run a web server unless you either a. have a well configured firewall or b. don't care what people do to your computer or what they use it for (e.g. you are deliberately creating a honeypot).

The bandwidth comments in the last post are not necessarily correct.  Here in the UK at least, most broadband has wider bandwidth downstream (traffic to your computer) than upstream (traffic away from your computer.  e.g. I have 2Mb downstream - brilliant for browsing the web, but 128k upstream - useless for hosting high volume websites (all the users would experience very slow response times).

Another thing to consider: it is not advisable to run a production service (web, ftp, news, gaming, IM, etc) on the same computer you use for your work.  Otherwise you may well find that conflicts occur or that performance (for you or for your users) is unacceptable.  Epsecially don't even think about providing a web service on a computer that you regularly use for gaming.
    Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

bauerly

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 05:15:16 PM »
    If your looking at a home server on a pc that will only be your server then checkout http://www.clarkconnect.com.  I am running it an really like there software.  The best part is that the home edition is free.  It has Linux/apache/mysql/php already setup in it.  You can checkout my site at http://www.lonnieworld.com to see how it runs.  This package comes with an email server, http server, mysql, php, perl, router package and  firewall.  You can use it as a router with 2 or more ethernet cards or you can set it up as a stand alone server.  I prefer the router so it protects my network with a good firewall and intrusion detection.  GREAT FREE PACKAGE

Regards
    Lonnie