Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: win-install / bad sectors / cannot boot anymore  (Read 2124 times)

bluehorsedoesntbite

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    win-install / bad sectors / cannot boot anymore
    « on: November 30, 2017, 12:02:15 PM »
    Hi everyone.
    About 3 days ago, my notebook with win10x64 / lenovo ideapad z580 stopped to work. It was really slowly so I restarted that and then there was just 0xc00000f, 0xc000225 and winload.efi error info on blue screen.
    I tried to save some data via ubuntu liveCD but could not access partition where I have win system and some sw [NTFS inconsistent, input/output error and so on...] I could not mount into that part at all. I found out that there is something over 52 bad sectors and 54° C / 129° F.
    I know that I should just buy new one / my will is to do so. But I cannot do that in shorter time than +- in month.
    I was just interested, If I will reinstal win, will it find bad sectors and ignore them during proccess? If no, how can I find them?
    I made new USB win10 boot device and wanted to run chkdsk but it denied access to me. Actually anything about copying healthy boot/files, fixing etc. was not successful... :(
    Even if the time of function would be really short, I cannot chose different option now.
    Thank you for reply and sorry for language.
    I am desperate, thank you for advice. anz different advice how to solve this situation is welcome.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: win-install / bad sectors / cannot boot anymore
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
    Best solution is to install a new hard drive and install the OS to a clean healthy hard drive.

Most Hard Drives do have extra sectors used to replace damaged sectors, but a hard drive with a sector loss could result in  important data loss or system crash when you need it the most. That hard drive should not be trusted.

Depending on how bad the problem is, you might be able to install Windows clean to it again, and it will skip over use of those bad sectors, but a hard drive with a bad sector count greater than 0 is considered damaged and not to be trusted to be reliable.

However I have a first generation SATA drive manufactured in 2004 a 164.7GB drive that has bad sectors and I have used it for the last 7 years for video editing and it still works and the bad sector count hasn't gotten any worse and it continues to run without any problems. BUT... This drive is not to be trusted with storage with any important data!