Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: cpu upgrade  (Read 2331 times)

Dusty1966

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
cpu upgrade
« on: December 04, 2017, 05:32:47 AM »
sorry first time i have posted, could someone help i want to now what cpu i should upgrade to to get best performance from my computor, spec for mother board is below and i will be doing myself is it straight forward?
   AMD FX-6300   33 °C
   Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
   12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
   Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-UD3P
regards

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: cpu upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:17:18 AM »
Here is the link to all processors the board supports.

I have the FX-8350 4Ghz 8-core and its not that bad of a CPU.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-UD3P-rev-2x#support-cpu

Dusty1966

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:31:25 PM »
thanks for the information is this the best cpu i can get for this mother board, and will it just plug in where the other one was.
regards

Dusty1966

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »
will a amd fx-8370 black edition be able to fit on my motherboard >?
regards

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »
YES as Socket AM3+ like this one. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113374

By the way.... you will want to probably go with liquid cooling when using an 8-core FX CPU that is 125 watt TDP. The heatsink that my AMD FX-8350 125 watt Black Edition came with runs full tilt to try to keep the cpu cool. And its noisy because its running at 100% fan speed. A friend has liquid cooling for his and he can keep his temps in the 40-50C range. My stock cooler that came with the CPU runs upwards of 60-72C. Lots of complaints about the stock heatsinks being barely adequate to cool these properly.

I also have a AMD FX-8300 3.3Ghz 8-core which is a 95 watt CPU and that one runs way cooler on its stock heatsink and quieter because it doesnt need to run the fan at 100% when all 8 cores are actively crunching.

Lastly when upgrading CPU's you have to pay attention to what Bios Version supports what CPU's. The good thing here is that its supported for all CPU's on the list from the initial BIOS release so you shouldnt run into any problems where a bios flash is needed, so dont worry about flashing the BIOS unless there is a bug fix that is needed. If you installed a CPU into a board that would support it with a specific version or newer version of BIOS but running the older version you can run into problems where the system wont boot or if it does boot it gives a microcode error and detects the CPU as the wrong CPU. This generally means that your installing the original CPU back to the board, then flash it to newer BIOS version and then swap to better CPU all over again to pair the CPU with the proper BIOS microcode support.

Dusty1966

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »
thanks very much am ordering now i take it the new cooling fan you suggest fits straight on

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »
For heatsinks, follow the installation instructions. The stock Heatsink that is air cooler is pretty simple with just a tension lock. If your going with liquid cooling it will be more involved with hoses and mounting hardware and heat exchanger unit which draws the heat out of the liquid to air.

Dusty1966

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 01:24:01 PM »
hi dave i have ordered the cpu with a wraith cooler already attatched instead of the standard one should be here tomorrow, i will let you now
when hopefully i have it up and running
Regards
 :)