Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC keeps rebooting after windows 10 update  (Read 6427 times)

carlosmspk

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
    PC keeps rebooting after windows 10 update
    « on: December 09, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »
    Hello! First off I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to computers, so bear with me:

I was playing in my 5 years old computer when a Windows (10) Update started downloading and slowing my computer down to unbearable levels (opening a folder could take up to 10 seconds when it would normally open smoothly in under a second). I decided to leave my computer downloading it all night and the next day I was required to reboot my computer in order to apply the update, upon doing that my computer entered in a forever rebooting cycle where it starts booting showing those BIOS options, then it proceeds to show the windows icon with those rotating balls implying it's loading, and then it goes black and back to the BIOS settings, etc.

I've tried reseating RAM as it was pointed to me it could be the problem, after that the PC now sometimes completely powers down and up again, but only sometimes (I tried holding the power supply cable while it was booting and that seemed to make the whole powering down better) but it still goes into the infinite reboot cycle...

I'm sorry for not knowing exactly which details are important to point out, but I'll gladly give you any system specs that I can, or any circumstances that might be relevant!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC keeps rebooting after windows 10 update
    « Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:16:35 PM »
    Welcome to the forum.
    Some of us hafe used Windows for years and are having a hard time with Windows 10 updates. At this point, you can try to do a recovery. But they is a catch.

The catch is that you need to install DVD or some other method to repair the computer. From what uu describe, it had gone beyound that point.

Do yu have the DVD used to install Windows 10 ?
    If so, boot it up and look for a place where issays you can repair you computer.

But if you do not have the DVD or USB stick used to install winwos 10, you hare going to find it more difficult.
    Look at this Goolge search  answer:
    Search instead for how to repai Windows 10
    Search Results
    Navigate to the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options menu.
        Once your computer has booted, you'll want to select Troubleshoot.
        And then you'll need to click Advanced options.
        Click Startup Repair.
        Windows will take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes to attempt to fix the problem. ...
        Click System Restore.

But if you never see the "Advanced Startup Options" then yhou have to fin another way to do it.
    You may have to ask a fiend to prepare a USB drive with the version of Windows 10 you have. The hard part is that it has now become near imposible for the average person to know what version of Windows 10 they have. Like it is maybe a top scecret thing.

Does the computer documentation indicate what version you had? Does the maker of the computer know what you had? You should have in the documentation some way to call the support desk of the maker of the computre and find out it taht can recomend a way to recovery Windows 10 ion your computer.

Why did I not  suggest you use another PC to donwload the ISO file from Microsoft.? Well, you have to know which version you had. Use the wrong version and things get worse.

Do yu have a backup of the whole systeM? If so, you might have to use it now.

EDIT: Here is more about repair of WIndows 10.   :)
    https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/repair-windows-10

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »
    since the PC is now stuck in a reboot loop, getting into the Advanced Startup Options (ASO) menu will probably require this method.

start the PC and when you see WIn10 trying to start, force the PC off.
    repeat a few times and eventually Windows will start with the message "problem starting, attempting repairs" (or similar) and take you to the ASO screen.
    from there you can follow the link in @geeks post.

Techjourney

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »
      Does it work properly in safe mode? If so, then first step after entering safe mode with networking go into Windows update section and see if it will download any more updates? Let us know if this helps or not.

Techjourney

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
        Do you still need help? Are you able to boot into safe mode or do you have a Win 10 install USB or DVD?

carlosmspk

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:22:44 PM »
          Hey guys, sorry for the silence, been busy lately, here's where things are at:
          I originally had windows 7 so using that DVD for system repair didn't work.
          In the meantime I formatted my computer by installing windows7 ultimate (which worked) and then upgrading it to windows 10 (which initially worked) and then when it finished downloading the latest updates the same thing happened, albeit slightly different. While before my PC would go into a reboot loop, now it actually prompts windows 10's message saying that my PC didn't go off correctly with a stop code :"CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED" and prompts the troubleshoot menu, I tried repairing, starting in safe mode, and going back a version all of these to no avail (windows can't find the problem, starting in safe mode makes it reboot, can't go back to a previous version).
          Is it possible that, for some reason my PC is not compatible with this version of Windows? I read that in a previous update there were problems with computers with both HDD and SSD simultaneously (which happens to be the case with mine). Could I have some problem like that?

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          « Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »
          Driver error...did you DLoad and install MBoard drivers after the Win 10 upgrade ? ?
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

carlosmspk

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »
            I let it update itself, I presume it contains something as basic as the MB Driver...

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »
            Nope...never rely on Windows update for drivers...they are generic at best.

Travel to the MBoard manuf. site...pick your Model # and then your version of Windows...DLoad and install them.
            Chipset drivers 1st...then re-boot...then all others.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

carlosmspk

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 07:29:32 AM »
              Assuming that's the problem, how can I apply a driver update if I can't access the actual Windows desktop?

Quantos

Guru
              • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »
              As per the previous suggestions - look at safe mode and repair mode
              Evil is an exact science.

carlosmspk

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »
                As I said, Repair does not find any problems, and I can't boot my pc in safe mode as it just shuts down, and when it turns on it says that my PC didn't turn on correctly with a stop code of "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED"

Quantos

Guru
                • Veni, Vidi, Vici
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Guru
                « Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 01:26:57 PM »
                Yeah, I missed that part

You may have to reinstall Windows, do you have your files backed up?
                Evil is an exact science.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
                • Geek After Dark
                  • Gekk9pm bnlog
                • Experience: Expert
                « Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
                Here is a method anybody can try to isolate a strange problem with a Windows instalation.   :)

Get a brand new clean hard drive.
                Remove all the things taht are not esential to a bare bones install. Printer, Super video card, scnaner and other stuff that is not needed for a simple install.

Install Windowsd 10 from the ground up. If there is a problem, most likly there is a hardware issue taht can not be resolved.

But if the new clean bare bones install works, keep adding in what hardware and sofrware is needed untill you get to a trouble spot. Thenyou know that logically it was the last thing you added taht is the cause of the problem.

But sometings the trouble issue does not happen again. It seems taht the issue can not be duplicated. Some say tghat it was a "glitch" because it could not be replicated.

For many people this actually takes less time than trying to understand exactly what when wrong.  ;D
                « Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 01:51:27 PM by Geek-9pm »

carlosmspk

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07:23 AM »
                  I did it!

I formatted my pc for the second time, only this time I deleted all partitions (the other time I left some weird partitions that were in there, but someone I know said there shouldn't be a problem removing them even though I might need them in the future). From there a clean instalation of windows 10 did it, and my PC didn't give me any problems ever since! I don't know what the problem was, it seems unlikely to me that it would be that I had a "bad partition" if such a thing even exists... Regardless, thanks to everyone in this post who tried to help!  :D