Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer not working after sign-in - Assert Failure message  (Read 3696 times)

Andres17G

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer not working after sign-in - Assert Failure message
    « on: December 13, 2017, 03:04:33 PM »
    Hello, I have a laptop running the latest public update for Windows 10. As I turned it on yesterday I got four different error messages for four processes which included IAStorIcon.exe, TOASTER.exe, and DropboxOEM.exe. The messages read as follows:

IAStorIcon.exe - Assert Failure
    Expression: [mscorlib recursive resource lookup bug]
    Description: Infinite recursion during resource lookup within mscorlib. This may be a bug in mscorlib, or potentially in certain extensibility points such as assembly resolve events or CultureInfo names. Resource name: Arg_ExternalException.
    Abort/Retry/Ignore

I get these messages and the computer won't let me do anything else, no matter which option I click on the messages the computer won't do anything else. I can move the mouse around and click on stuff but no programs open, the start menu doesn't open, Ctrl+Alt+Supr does nothing, right clicking does nothing. It basically only lets me move the mouse. I tried to boot into safe mode and the first time it gave me a blue screen of death with the stop code: CRITICAL PROCESS DIED. It loaded all the way up to 100% and then it stood there for half an hour, until I forcefully shutdown the computer. Next time I was able to boot into the blue screen that lets you use a restore point but the time of restore point was from after this problem started so it did nothing. What can I do and how can I do it? My computer is pretty much unusable after signing in so that complicates things a bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Computer not working after sign-in - Assert Failure message
      « Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:27:45 AM »
      Sounds like a very serious problem, I would perform a system restore.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

Salmon Trout

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
      Most likely malware/virus.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:23:24 AM »
      Most likely malware/virus.

Agreed...Visit our Malware section and Post as much info as you can...

Or i can move this over there if you prefer...lemme know.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "