Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP hates my harddrive  (Read 3873 times)

smelly_Cat

XP hates my harddrive
« on: December 15, 2005, 05:18:04 PM »
Hey everyone,  I have this mother board working with one Harddrive (Master) on XP,  I have a 2nd 40GHD , just data,  that I'm trying to hookup, set as slave.  
Bios says slave,  but bios seems to try to start on the data drive.   Microsoft win 98 startup menu appears and it dumps to a command prompt.  I unplug the data drive and it starts right up on the XP drive.

Should'nt a working HD just plug up and install?

SC

Merlin_2

Re: XP hates my harddrive
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 05:40:42 PM »
What are the jumpers set-on.....on the drive? check them?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 07:33:09 PM »
    Is your master drive on the end of the data cable, if not, put it there with the slave in the middle.

smelly_Cat

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 04:52:13 AM »
    I rechecked the cables,   the Master has the jumper set to master and its on the end,   the slave is set to slave and it is the middle.  Bios picks them up up and lists them corect.   when Bios steps past that.  it wants to boot off the data drive for some reason and not the master with the op system on it.   Both the HD's were working before the motherboard crashed and I had to replace it.

When I put the Cd rom as the slave it works but the 2nd HD appears to want to be the master cause i get the win 98 start up screen and then it boinks to the
    command and nothing since there is no op system.

I think I may try loading a op system to this data HD and see if that will work.  This just seems weird

sc

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 07:53:22 AM »
    Both drives were both originally set up as primary partitions. The total solution is back up your data on the smaller drive, delete the partition, recreate an extended DOS drive with a logical partition and format it. Troubles will be all gone, guaranteed.
    « Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:54:00 AM by GX1_Man »

smelly_Cat

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 03:55:48 PM »
    GX1_Man,   I don't know why theses HD's worked together before with the  wacked MB  and now dont on this 2nd board(slightly used).  Here is my perdicament.  What I'm hearing is that the MB is going to search for a  primary partion regardless of whats set in bios.  Since the data drive is newer and probaly faster.  The MB goes to it 1st, finds no op system, and barfs.

Here is one constant.
    I cannot  format the 2nd drive due to its loaded with pictures.  

Would this be a viable option? or alternative?
    Format the 8 meg master, get rid of the primary partition.    Then Load XP on the 40 gig data drive?

Am i thinking this through right?  thx in advance. SC

Sputnik

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 04:04:04 PM »
    Another x-files.........predicament..........

Scully.....moulder.....

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 04:09:26 PM »
    More Merlin impersonating someone else. Unfortunately same old old crappola.

Merlin, why don't you try impersonating a coherent individual? It would be a nice change.

merlin_2

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 04:26:57 PM »
    I dont know what you talking about. ???......have you been taking drugs/drinking........or just losing the plot.?

professor_james2

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 04:42:09 PM »
    Check the boot squence in the bios. If it is set to boot to the secondary it will show up as drive c. Make sure it is set to boot to the primary drive first.

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 05:03:59 PM »
    Do wish to repost an answer pj
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I rechecked the cables,   the Master has the jumper set to master and its on the end,   the slave is set to slave and it is the middle.  Bios picks them up up and lists them corect.   when Bios steps past that.  it wants to boot off the data drive for some reason and not the master with the op system on it.   Both the HD's were working before the motherboard crashed and I had to replace it.

When I put the Cd rom as the slave it works but the 2nd HD appears to want to be the master cause i get the win 98 start up screen and then it boinks to the  
    command and nothing since there is no op system.

I think I may try loading a op system to this data HD and see if that will work.  This just seems weird

sc

smelly_Cat

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 07:29:19 AM »
    THis was at the Abit KD7 site,  And I quote,  
    "The problem lies in the IDE driver. If you've installed the bus mastering IDE drivers for another chipset, Windows cannot boot with those. You have to hook up your old motherboard, replace the busmastering drivers with the default IDE drivers Windows ships with, and then switch motherboards and safely boot into Windows. Anyway FAE recommends you a clean install of Windows if possible."    My response is "what the heck?"  I already tore that old MB out and it is about 3 seconds from the trash bin.

On the data drive ,  can I delete some files that contain the ( Microsoft win 98 startup menu)  and maybe the Bios will jump to the Master and boot?   SC