Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP Printer not aligning top & bottom of page properly  (Read 3202 times)

02bin3

HP Printer not aligning top & bottom of page properly
« on: December 13, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »
I have an HP Officejet 6500A Plus 10n-z printer that is about 4 years old.  It has always printed very reliably until recently.  It has a USB connection to my Lenovo Desktop, Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.  I made a greeting card with Print Shop 23.1 Deluxe and when it printed the card, the image printed had shifted to the left so that part of the border ended up on the back side of the card.  At first, I thought it was Print Shop, then I remembered that I'd been having a problem making copies whether I put them on the glass or through the feeder, the tops of documents were much closer to the top of the page than the originals.  I went to HP and got a new driver to see if that would help, and it did not.  I'm really stumped on this one.  Does anyone one have any other suggestions?  I hate to buy a new printer as this one prints well other than the misalignment of printed matter.  Thank you,

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: HP Printer not aligning top & bottom of page properly
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 11:38:21 AM »
Short answer. Yes, bu a new printer.
Aparrently threre are no user adjustable mecahnbical featers. The documentation never talks about repair of parts taht have wore out physdically. Years ago llyou could get any part for a printer. That was back when a printer costs about  $1000. Now lyu buy a new printer fo under$200.

Amazon
HP Officejet 6500A
Used & new (13) from $115.00 + $14.49 shipping

From personal experice, that is the best advice I can koffer you.     :)

02bin3

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:52:46 AM »
Thank you for your reply.  I was afraid that was going to be the answer, but I kept hoping that there was some way of getting Old Faithful to re-align itself.  I knew I shouldn't have had COSTCO refill my spare cartridges last week!   ;)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 12:58:18 PM »
On those printers, Paper can ball up and then get stuck to the right of the print cartridges which prevents the printing from moving all the way to the right, and it thinks the paper stopping it is the margin stopper so it thinks that is the rightmost side of the paper.

If you open the cover, after a short time the cartridges should pop out from the right- then you can look and see what might be blocking it.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

02bin3

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 04:24:28 PM »
I did as you suggest, but there was no paper caught up.  Lots of black ink splattered back there though!  I can't ever remember having a paper jam with this computer so the chances of finding anything were slim to none, but I checked anyway.  Thank you

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »
I found a forum thread where somebody else was complaining of a similar problem; somebody else then reported that they examined the inside of their printer and found a paper jam; and then there were 3-4 pages of people over the last few years basically thanking them because they found the same thing, so it certainly seemed to be worth a look.

Only other idea would be to try to observe it attempting to print and see if the print head appears to be unrestricted before completely abandoning that it may be mechanically getting stuck in some way.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.