Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Port Fried (visible smoke), display wont turn on now  (Read 2866 times)

logicalpinecone

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    USB Port Fried (visible smoke), display wont turn on now
    « on: December 17, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »
    This morning, I was using my computer normally, nothing seemed unusual, other than my Ethernet cable not being recognized by my motherboard. I waited a while and rebooted and the light for the Ethernet cable being detected came back and the computer started working as normal. After about an hour, I needed to print something and decided to plug in my printer USB cable. As soon as I plugged it in, the USB port started smoking, and before I could turn off my computer, it shut off itself.

At this point, I made sure that the smoke and smell emitted from the computer was indeed from the USB port and NOT from the PSU. I assumed that this fried USB port could be due to the port being unused and undusted for months. I waited about an hour and then turned on my computer. All LED lights, fans, accessories (keyboard and mouse), turned on as normal. I was able to change settings on my keyboard and changed light options. All fans within my computer, 4 external fans, CPU fan, GPU fan, were all working as intended. However, there is no display. I'm not quite sure why.

I have two monitors, one is connected via DVI port and one is connected via HDMI port, both to my GPU. However, neither seem to be recognized properly. After turning on my computer, there is no smoke or smell being emitted. My next step plan is to open up my computer and dust it out, and see if the visible capacitors on the motherboard are fried.

I have turned off the computer, unplugged all plugs and turned off power (PSU). Unfortunately I dont have any spare PSUs, motherboards, or GPUs to troubleshoot with.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Motherboard:
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB

CPU:
    AMD FX-8350

logicalpinecone

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: USB Port Fried (visible smoke), display wont turn on now
      « Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 09:59:31 AM »
      Update: The USB port is physically attached to the motherboard. That is, there are no visible connectors and it is connected underneath a metal coating. I opened up the case and looked for physical markings on the USB port, motherboard, and GPU and can't seem to find any. Even directly at the point of smoking (the USB Port), there are no physical signs or fried capacitors. The GPU fans power up as normal and it seems to be running as intended. There is no smoke, or smell coming from the computer after turning it on. And all peripherals still work as intended. I've also tried unplugging all peripherals, and leaving only the HDMI cable and power cable connected. This does not seem to make any difference.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »
      Still no display at all ? ?
      I would go down to 1 monitor only to troubleshoot...with DVD connector.
      Do you see a BIOS splash screen at least ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »
      From your inspection i'm thinkin you got real lucky and all that burned was the dust...

Keep us posted.

Mark.

Adviser
      • Forum Regular
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
      looks like your mobo doesn't have an integrated graphics card which is a pity, you could have removed your graphics card for testing purposes.
      does the PC make any beeps when you start it?

just how dusty was this USB port? :)
      USB ports have the positive and negative pins on each side (with the data pins in the middle), keeping them as far as part as possible.
      are there any bent pins within the mobo USB port or the USB printer cable?
      was it a front USB port? (these are notorious for bent pins as people leave USB devices plugged in and they knock them around)

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
        « Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
        Have you tried disconnecting the mains power lead for 5 minutes then try re powering up if it still won't display then the motherboard needs replacing. I suspect if it was the USB3.0 that smoked which looking at page 8 of the user manual with the block diagram. The no display suggests you have a faulty AMD990fx chip Which is not replaceable. Strange with the protection Gigabyte put into the usb port circuit you would be able to burn anything out. If you do need to replace the motherboard
        the CPU, RAM and graphics card should be ok to use. I would recommend getting either a new computer or an Up grade box.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
        He's running a vid card...see above.

And i doubt the board is fried.

How bout we wait for a response ? ?

VintronNZ

Beginner

• Never a dumb question.
          « Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 06:53:03 PM »
          Hi Patio

If you check the Motherboard block diagram you will see that the 990 chip controls the PCIe * 16 slots i.e the video card. 
          The purpose of the 5 minute power rest is to see if the usb protection can be reset.
          If the above doesn't work then I would be replacing the mother board 

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
          I still say we should wait for a response...

Quantos

Guru
          • Veni, Vidi, Vici
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
          looks like your mobo doesn't have an integrated graphics card which is a pity, you could have removed your graphics card for testing purposes.

Doesn't matter what the board supports. AMD FX chips don't support onboard graphics
          Evil is an exact science.