Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router (Extra) ports  (Read 5686 times)

Raptor

Router (Extra) ports
« on: August 03, 2004, 05:02:06 AM »
Somehow, the other people who are using my network (And seem to have formed the habbit of occasionally powering down the Router and/or removing it) now managed to have added extra ports.

Our Router (790RH 4 Port Broadband Router) is only capable of 4 ports. I used to be  XXX. XXX. X.2 and the other computers XXX. XXX. X.3 and XXX. XXX. X.4.

However, all of a sudden I am now XXX. XXX. X.7 and the other computer XXX. XXX. X.9 (I have yet to determine what the third computer is numbered, I believe it could be XXX. XXX. X.8, it is rarely powered on.)

It is not a problem that bothers me, the router is still able to function as it normally would but I donot understand how this could have occured. They cannot access the settings for they are passworded and I made sure that I am the only person who knows the password.

Addy

Re: Router (Extra) ports
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 05:28:08 AM »
Probably your router supports DHCP and the clients (the computers) recieve their IP-address dynamically. So your router can determine on its own, which IP-address to assign to which client. There are several reasons why your computers suddenly get other addresses, this shouldn't bother you (neither is it a security problem nor a malfunction).

johnwill

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 09:28:12 AM »
Many routers also include the capability of locking a specific MAC address to an IP address in the DHCP server.  I lock all the normally used computers in my network to specific IP addresses, that way I know where to find them. :)

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 10:13:35 AM »
Thank you for the replies.

And yes, I do believe my router supports DHCP. It is by clicking that option that I found out that the ports have changed.

However, they have not changed for a while. Will this be done if the router were to be powered down?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 10:13:56 AM by Raptor »

Addy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 12:20:30 PM »
I think yes.
But if you want to assign static IP-addresses to your computers, you can simply do this. As you are probably using MS Windows, I can't tell you exactly how to do this (see "Network" in the "System control" or however it's called  ::) ).

Raptor

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 12:28:33 PM »
The IP is static, it has remained XXX.XXX.X.7 for quite a while. Whilst it used to be XXX.XXX.X.2.

I donot believe I should edit these settings, they run properly. I was only curious as to why it would go above number XXX.XXX.X.5.

2k dummy

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 12:52:30 PM »
Just because it has remained the same for awhile does not mean that it is static. I'm not familiar with your router, but on mine I can limit the address range by setting the minimum and maximum addresses that be assigned. I also can limit how many addresses within that range can be assigned. My limit is set to the actual number of devices that use the network. I can also limit the amount of time that addresses are valid and force devices to renew their addresses or be kicked off the network. This applies to all devices on the network - not just one.

Raptor

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 12:54:46 PM »
I have not seen such an option, this is the first Router I have. But I believe it changed the adress due to it being powered down when we required to take off the power of the main ... distributor. Incorrect English term, I know.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 01:25:32 PM »
    Raptor......If you have the manual which came with your router , It may well answer your question.
    I am not familiar with the 790 RH router ........I use a Dlink......but I'm sure they all work in a similar way.
    I guess the bottom line is ...if it works ok .......leave well enough alone......However if you are interested in why it does what it did ....perhaps contacting the manufacturer
    Q- TEC ....I believe...or...http://www.qtec.info/service/support/manuals.htm?artnr=13563

This should give you the manual.

hope this is some help ,
    cheers
    dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 04:09:17 PM »
    I still have the manual, I will see if I can locate it.

Q-tec technical support is not something I would recommend. I have E-mailed them before and they provide you with very basic answers.