Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: can I swap mother board/processor on Lenovo?  (Read 2497 times)

Hawkeye1968

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    can I swap mother board/processor on Lenovo?
    « on: January 01, 2018, 08:53:12 PM »
    I have a Lenovo H30-05 with a AMD E1 processor with a speed of 1.5G. It is a dog and I am wondering if I can put a Lenovo Athlon II mother board and processor in without making any other changes. It will bolt in exactly but will it work with the hard drive, the soft ware stored on the hard drive, etc.? Can I simply change mother boards (processors are soldered on motherboard) and turn the computer back on and have it work as it did before only faster?? If not is it possible with minor changes? Thanks

Salmon Trout

Re: can I swap mother board/processor on Lenovo?
    « Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »
    If by "software stored on the hard drive" you mean a Windows installation, it will almost certainly not work, or if it boots be very prone to crashing. You would need to do a fresh install and if it is an OEM licence it would be invalid and would probably refuse to activate.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »
      The great thing about Lenovo desktop and laptops is that they are so widely used in business and education that the second hand/refurb market for them is always flooded. So, they're usually in great shape at a reasonable price. It really might be worth your while to look for a newer model on ebay, or at your local repair/refurbishing shop.
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

Hawkeye1968

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:37:31 PM »
        Thank you both for your response. I will just need to replace the computer when I can't take it anymore.