Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Notebook Won't Start, despite a flicker of life!  (Read 2574 times)

FlickerOfLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Notebook Won't Start, despite a flicker of life!
    « on: January 05, 2018, 04:56:11 AM »
    ...the storey so far:

We've had an Asus X551C Notebook for a few years but it just suddenly gave up and wouldn't start. We tried re-charging the battery but no luck.

We put it to one side and forgot about it for a few weeks, then by chance just tried starting it up again and it whirred and worked!  This was not to last, unfortunately, and we are back to square one with no startup.

I've tried replacing the battery but it's not resolved the issue.  When I fitted the new battery, the charging light did the usual and glowed orange and then green when I connected the charger so I think something is going right.

When the power switch is pressed (connected to charger) the green light goes off, whilst pressing.  When the power switch is pressed (not connected to charger) there is no green light.

Is there any hope?  What could I try next, please?

It has Windows 10 loaded.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Notebook Won't Start, despite a flicker of life!
    « Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
    Des this notebook work without the battery installed?  Many do work with only the AC adapter giving poser to the notebook.

FlickerOfLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:31:07 AM »
      Hello, Geek-9pm and thanks for your reply. 

The battery is a bit of a pain in this model as it's hidden away internally under the keyboard.  I've taken it out and tried it without the battery but unfortunately, no startup!

FlickerOfLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 12:01:10 PM »
        An update on events:

I dug down and replaced the CMOS battery and reassembled the notebook.

Without the charger attached I tried the on/off switch and nothing happened (One green LED lit up on the notebook, the one for the battery).

I connected the charger and pressed the on/off switch and the notebook booted up properly (two green LEDs lit up on the notebook, one for the battery and the other for the charger).

I tried a restart and disaster struck as it didn't reboot! (Only one LED lit up, the one for the charger.)

The notebook has the functionality to run the OS but appears to be having power supply problems or is it a completely different issue? Any further ideas of what to try would be great.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »
        My recommendation is to find a replacement charger.

A quick check on eBay shows that model is popular and varies in price.
        At this point you need some way to verify the AC charger. A replacement charger, used, is about $15 to $30, which is a bit cheaper than a new battery. So buying a new charger would be the cheapest way to verify the  charger, unless you have a volt meter  and know how to test the charger.

A used Asus X551C Notebook goes for about $ 200 on eBay,. But you would have no guarantee. But one vendor claims he will sell a warranty for one year for $35.

Another test would be to find some way to charge the battery without using the charger. If that resolves the issue, then you know the charger system is not  working right.
        Part of the charger circuity is inside the laptop. So you could have a good charger, and good battery and still not be happy.  :(

FlickerOfLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 03:32:02 AM »
          Hello, Geek-9pm and thanks for your reply.

I tested the output from my charger with a voltmeter and it is chucking out about 18v so it looks like that bit is working.  I think your suggestion that it may be internal circuitry is probably more to blame.  The on/off switch or seating of the CMOS battery may get my attention.

It is so frustrating because the OS will run fine when it flickers into life!  It didn't like the shutdown.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 11:04:26 PM »
          The battery and cahrging cirluity arfe seperated inside the laptop. I thing the battery can run the lapto even if the charge ciucrity is not working. (I have not seen the scematic for yhour laptop, so I am not sure.)

If you like to experiment, try this:
          Using paper clips and duct rape and wire, righ up a way to give a quick charge to the battery. Limit the current to less tgaht 1 amp.Try a 22ohm resitor to limit the current to the battery  Or 10 ohm for more current flow.
          Anyway, even 500 milliamp for twenty minuestes should give the battery enoguh to start up the laptop.

Otherwise, you may have to open up the laptop and start checking things. It is posible tghat the power on button is broke or is dirty.

FlickerOfLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 07:57:49 AM »
            Hello, Geek-9pm and thanks for your latest reply.

Just playing around, I tried the following...

Took the battery out and pressed the on/off switch for 30 seconds and put the battery back in.

Tried starting with just the battery but no luck.

Connected the charger and both leds lighted up and the laptop started!

I can only think that pressing the on/off switch for 30 seconds did something.  Does this point towards any particular component?

I haven't dared turn the laptop off yet!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 08:59:18 AM »
            Holdin the power button in like that without battery displaces all residual power and allows a proper re-boot.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

FlickerOfLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »
              Hello, Patio and thanks for your reply.

The battery in my laptop is internal so can only be reached by taking the keyboard off!  Does this behaviour suggest a particular component has failed that I can replace?

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 09:50:03 AM »
              I would just heep using it normally...if it arises again unfortunately its a job for the Shop...

FlickerOfLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »
                Hello, patio and thanks for your reply,

I'm able to take the keyboard off and get to the battery and that's how I did this re-start by pressing the on/off with the battery out.  It's obviously not something that I want to do very often so I was hoping to replace whatever part is faulty.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 10:07:20 AM »
                As i stated that would take a shop visit to determine the culprit...