Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Desktop Setup  (Read 2472 times)

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

New Desktop Setup
    « on: January 08, 2018, 05:30:15 AM »
    Thinking about finally biting the bullet and buying a new desktop to replace my 11+ yo HP. What is the easiest way to transfer my files and software? Since I will be using the same OS, Win 10 Home, I would like to simply install a backup image of my current HD on the new rig. That way I don’t have to uninstall bloatware and spend a lot of time configuring. I want everything on the new PC to be exactly the same as my current configuration. Is this possible? I ask because I know the OS is married to a particular processor. Is it simply a matter of calling MS to get approval? Thanks.

PS   Just remembered my current Win 10 is 32bit and the new one will likely be 64bit. I’m guessing this is a showstopper?
    « Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 05:47:34 AM by artbuc »

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: New Desktop Setup
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 05:44:02 AM »
    While programs like Acronis True Image offer the ability to restore to a different system (Acronis Universal Restore: https://kb.acronis.com/ati2016/aur), I strongly recommend a clean install of everything. That's always the best way to start with a new computer.

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:09 AM »
      While programs like Acronis True Image offer the ability to restore to a different system (Acronis Universal Restore: https://kb.acronis.com/ati2016/aur), I strongly recommend a clean install of everything. That's always the best way to start with a new computer.

Probably so. I will use my Macrium image for files/folders but do clean install for software.

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:58:25 AM »
      What I do is download all drivers and put them on a usb drive. Then I format the drive, install Windows and partition the drive as I like, install the drivers, install an anti virus app, and download all Windows Updates. I then create a new image so I have a safe have that is a good starting point in the event it's necessary to start again, and then install desired apps (creating multiple images along the way).

artbuc

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:15:15 AM »
        What I do is download all drivers and put them on a usb drive. Then I format the drive, install Windows and partition the drive as I like, install the drivers, install an anti virus app, and download all Windows Updates. I then create a new image so I have a safe have that is a good starting point in the event it's necessary to start again, and then install desired apps (creating multiple images along the way).

Thx, but this is so over my pay grade!  This is why I never buy a new computer...just too hard. Why do I have to install Windows when it is already on the new PC? How do I download drivers? I’m lost!

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 06:51:05 AM »
        Sorry - I've been doing this so long it's second nature to me and sometimes forget it may be complicated for others.

Easier method then.... Just uninstall the "bloatware" and proceed from there :). Once you get the system, if you need help deciding what to keep and what to get rid of just let us know. And actually, it's less important to uninstall apps than to just make sure they aren't loading at boot / running in the background.