Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics Card that supports DirectX 9.0b 100%?  (Read 4913 times)

hamm6pack

Graphics Card that supports DirectX 9.0b 100%?
« on: January 08, 2006, 02:05:53 PM »
 :-? :-?  I am not the smartest person when it comes to computers, but which 3d grahics card will support DirectX 9.0b 100%?  We have Doom3 and do not have an appropriate  graphics card.  Many are listed as not compatible on the Doom3 box.  So which grahics cards are left?  I searched previous topics related to this, but those individuals had grahics cards that were on the not compatible list.  Duh! ::)

Any one out there play Doom3 without problems?  If so, what grahics card are you using? :-? :-? :-?

My family (hubby and kids) are desperate to play Doom3.  They have conquered the Playstation Doom games.  I guess I wanna play too!!!  ;) ;)

GX1_Man

Re: Graphics Card that supports DirectX 9.0b 100%?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 05:44:19 PM »
Tell us about your computer - make/model, processor, RAM, available slots - PCI or AGP, etc.

If you don't know, download and run Belarc Advisor - www.belarc.com. It's free and safe, and will tell you everything about your computer.

there is more to it than just the graphics card to have a good experience. I have a GeForce fX5200 and it works fine, but that computer has a lot of horsepower. if you don't have an AGP slot, that can make a difference too. Here are the game requirements:

http://www.doom3portal.com/info/systemreq.php

hamm6pack

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 07:43:34 PM »

Thank you for your reply.  Here is what Belarc found, or at least most of it.  If there is something I did not include, please let me know.  I believe I have all the requirements other than the graphics card.  There is space for it though, we just don't have one.  I talked to Dell and they wanted to sell me one (of course), but I don't know which one to get.  I want to purchase the right one the first time.  I appreciate any suggestions you may have.  THANK YOU AGAIN.

Belarc Advisor Current Profile

System Security Status  CIS Benchmark Score

Available only for Windows 2000, XP Pro, and 2003

Virus Protection

Up-to-date

Microsoft Security Updates

Up-to-date

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name:  Family (in MSHOME)
Profile Date:  Sunday, January 08, 2006 8:23:39 PM
Advisor Version:  7.0t
Windows Logon:  Laura

Click here for Belarc's System Management products, for large and small companies.  

Operating System   System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)   Dell Computer Corporation Dimension 2400
System Service Tag: B1PYX41 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: B1PYX41
Enclosure Type: Space-saving
Processor a   Main Circuit Board b
2.50 gigahertz Intel Celeron
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
128 kilobyte secondary memory cache   Board: Dell Computer Corp. 0F5949 A00
Serial Number: ..CN7082143MG0VG.
Bus Clock: 400 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Computer Corporation A05 12/02/2003
Drives   Memory Modules c,d
39.95 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
25.73 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631 [CD-ROM drive]
SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616E [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400BB-75FJA1 [Hard drive] (40.00 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAJC1655693, rev 14.03G14, SMART Status: Healthy   510 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_1' has 256 MB
Slot 'DIMM_2' has 256 MB
  Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 39.95 GB 25.73 GB free

Network Drives
  None detected

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 08:09:43 PM »
The Celeron D is not a great gaming processor, but should work OK. You have 512 RAM, so that is enough memory. You do not apparenttly have an AGP slot so a PCI card that uses one of those supported chipsets is the only option. Since it only has a 250 watt power supply that cannot be upgraded a high power video card will overtax the system and perhaps make it unusable.

I suspect your best option will be an FX5200 PCI card with 128 meg RAM, although Dell likes ATI so hat's probably what they suggested. What specifically did they want to sell you? It may be a wise choice, all things considered, but maybe you could get it cheaper elsewhere.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm