Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000A  (Read 3029 times)

Erik Schultz

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000A
« on: December 20, 2005, 09:40:59 AM »
I have searched everywhere for a solution and this seems to be an ongoing and growing problem for me.  I can't figure it out so I am turning to the experts, please help if you can!

The Blue Screen stop error which appears randomly is:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x0000000A (0xVaries, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x80563DB)

This occurs on a Dell Dimension 8100 running XP that was not recently upgraded and that had no recent hardware or software installed.

Over time the BSOD appears more frequently nearly every hour or so now with no specific rhyme or reason.

From what I have read, I know it may be a hardware or software problem from but suspect hardware because I removed all unsigned drivers.

Since this began happening the disk is now operating outside normal parameters or so it says during most boots.

Do I replace the RAM, the power supply, the disk, everything, or just trash the whole computer?

Please help! What should I do or what other information can I provide?

Thanks from one really really frustrated guy named Erik

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0x0000000A
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 11:04:40 AM »
Hi Erik. Being a regular, I see this often, and have experienced it myself. It is quite rare to see that software is causing this problem, especially if you have not installed/changed any of that recently. As it says on the blue screen, this screen may be caused by failing hardware. I know blue screens are vague, but nevertheless, it seems like a hardware issue. Have you installed ANY new hardware or software recently (Yes, even something as simple as a mouse)? When did this start? How old is your Dell? Have you installed anything new to the computer prior to this error? Also, becuase it would take way to long to explain how to test every piece of hardware, I would recommend taking it in for a professional to have a look. Usually this will not cost too much for them just to look... (Or let's hope  ;) )  Get back with us if you have any updates or questions.

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Erik Schultz

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 11:30:39 AM »
Flame,

Thanks for the fast reply.  There were no hardware additions prior to the error beggining to occur, not even a mouse.  

The error began with the frequency of about once per day or two in mid-November. My wife said she had seen the BSOD maybe two or three times before then, perhaps multi-weekly or monthly.  Still no hardware then, not even a new thumbdrive.  I did forget that about that time a friend did install Zone Alarm firewall in mid-November, but I promptly removed it when I saw the crashes.

The computer is three years old and I opened it up and vacuumed out quite a bit of accumulated dust after the problem began.  Maybe the dust accumulation on fans and airways could have caused too much heat and fried something?

My remaining questions are:
Is it worth trying to fix now that the hard drive says it is working outside normal parameters?  Will I need a new hard drive?
Do you think I should try to replace the RAM or powersupply myself, if so, which first?  Is it probable to be some other hardware or usually just RAM and PS?

Thanks again, Erik

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 12:32:11 PM »
    Try it in safe mode, that will eliminate most software problems.
    There is also software that you can download to test your hard drive. I've never had a need to use it but others here can explain it to you.
    There is also software that you can download to test your ram.
    « Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 12:33:30 PM by Fed »

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 02:07:25 PM »
    What I recommend is just paying the small fee to have someone look at it. Once they tell you what's wrong, and if you need replacement parts, come back and let us know what it is. We might be able to help with the question of you installing it yourself. Depending on what the problem is, the cost for replacement can go up or down. We wish you the best, and keep in touch.  ;)

[glb]Flame[/glb]

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 04:29:42 PM »
    The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

Possible Resolutions:

A Stop 0xA message might occur after installing a faulty device driver, system service, or firmware. If a Stop message lists a driver by name, disable, remove, or roll back the driver to correct the problem. If disabling or removing drivers resolves the issues, contact the manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is especially important for multimedia applications, antivirus scanners, and CD mastering tools.

A Stop 0xA message might also be due to failing or defective hardware. If a Stop message points to a category of devices (video or disk adapters, for example), try removing or replacing the hardware to determine if it is causing the problem.

If you encounter a Stop 0xA message while upgrading to Windows XPl, the problem might be due to an incompatible driver, system service, virus scanner, or backup. To avoid problems while upgrading, simplify your hardware configuration and remove all third-party device drivers and system services (including virus scanners) prior to running setup. After you have successfully installed Windows XP, contact the hardware manufacturer to obtain compatible updates.

You said at first no changes, and then began mentioning a few including "but suspect hardware because I removed all unsigned drivers. " and then mentionedsomething in your last post.

YOur hard drive may be dying. That message about operating outside of normal parameters, do you get that at boot up, as with a SMART drive error? Have you run the Dell diagnostics on it? (Free from their website!)

After that I would repartition the drive, reformat and reinstall Windows if no hardware errors found.

Erik Schultz

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 12:05:10 PM »
    Per Flame's suggestion I have scheduled an appointment for the hardware to be examined.  They can take my CPU after January 1 and they will look at it for free if I can't learn anything in the meantime.

In the meantime, does anyone know the name of the software to test the hard drive and RAM alluded to by FED?  Is it free?

I downloaded Dell Diagnostics, but can not get it to run properly as I can't find how to have the computer boot only to the dos prompt without windows.  I used to know this years ago, but have forgotten.  Does it identify hardware faults or just software?

I liked GX1_Man's suggestion of finding where the 0XA message points to, but I don't know how to do that.  I can read the address, but have no idea how to tell where it is pointing to.  There is no filename on the blue screen.

The message I now get on boot is:  WARNING: Dell's disk monitoring system has detected that drive 0 on the primary EIDE controlling is operating outside of normal specifications... (F1 to continue)

Lastly, I was confusing by saying that I removed unsigned drivers.  I did this using sigverif.exe to identify those unsigned drivers and then placing them in a separate folder.  They were all for devices installed years ago that had been working fine.  The one software I am aware that was installed around the time the problem intensified was ZoneAlarm, but I had forgotten as it was the first thing I removed when I noticed the trouble.  No hardware has been added.

Thanks for all the help to date!  Erik

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
    « Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 12:08:08 PM »
    Have you tried booting using "last Known Good Configuration"?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 12:14:22 PM »
      Why can't you get into safe mode?
      Last known good config will remove all windows Sps & updates.

Erik Schultz

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 12:48:52 PM »
      Thanks,

I tried booting using last known good configuration a week or so back.  I picked a time some 6 months ago that was on a list it provided me the option to pick from. After a long time it ame back with the reply that it could not boot in that configuration or something of the sort.

Now, if I choose boot in last known good configuration, it just appears to boot regularly.

I can boot in safe mode, safe with networking, or safe with DOS prompt and all work fine although with the expected goofy look, but I can't use the computer to hook to the internet in those cases.  I left it in safe mode for a day and ran virus and spyware scans without a crash, but there is not much use I could really give it without the internet.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
      « Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 12:57:27 PM »
      It needs to be looked at by a professional. If we could see this computer face-to-face, we could probably fix it, but it's near impossible to do over messaging...

[glb]Flame[/glb]