Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Panda!! Don't trust..  (Read 6426 times)

Dorian Galli

Panda!! Don't trust..
« on: August 03, 2004, 05:06:59 PM »
The free online panda virus check is a hoax. When they emailed me they gave me a file defanged. I checked it with norton and what do ya know panda sent a virus before you run online program they'll ask for your email and tell you to dl the defanged and open it. Then once that it is done they'll tell you to run the online virus checker. Once youve installed the defanged it installs the virus. All Panda wants is to feel allmighty and powerful, meanwhile they plauged you and the online checker will say *hey you have a virus blah blah blah*. Panda is not to be trusted.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Panda!! Don't trust..
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 07:24:24 PM »
    Dorian Galli .......If you want a reliable online virus checker ......try ....... http://www.symantec.com/index.htm   scroll down to the Symantec security check and then choose the virus scan........This will take a while depending on the number of files on your pc........It works.

dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 06:00:00 AM »
    You should not use free online virus scanners.

Retail virus scanners offer much better protection.

Corrosive

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 07:03:22 AM »
    I don't even use a virus scanner anymore. Just switch off the preview pane in you're email client and don't open any attachments you didn't request. If you know anything about computers, viruses are so easy to spot.

If you must have one (I'd recommend having one), AVG Antivirus is an excellent virus scanner, and it's free. I installed it on my parents PC to try and stop them screwing it up... again... ;D

A totally pointless aside though: can anyone explain to me what "defanged" means? The dictionary says "defanging" something means removing it's fangs... ???

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 09:02:05 AM »
    I don't even use a virus scanner anymore. Just switch off the preview pane in you're email client and don't open any attachments you didn't request. If you know anything about computers, viruses are so easy to spot.  

Anything? Do you have any idea how easy it is to be infected by even updating Windows? Not only that, Virus scanners (The better ones) also scan for trojans and spyware and they warn you of possible infected files.

Never go without a virus scan, especially not if you only  know anything about computers.

Corrosive

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 07:08:48 AM »
    I am aware of how easy it can be. But the fact is that 99 out of every 100 viruses come via email (so to speak), and the bulk of them follow the same format, ie...

"Wanna see sexy Russian teen lesbian dwarves on their webcams? Run this strange looking *.exe file!"

... Anyone with any sense will delete these files without thinking twice. I have a few webmail accounts kicking around which I use as spam-catchers which take away the bulk of the junk, so viruses don't come that often anyway.

I do, however, run a firewall, which warns me of any incoming and outgoing connections which I can analyse to find trojans and spyware. I use Spybot to get rid of any undesirables.

Please do explain the following though - I'm intrigued:
    Do you have any idea how easy it is to be infected by even updating Windows?

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 08:39:11 AM »
    Are you mocking me?

Even downloading Windows updates can cause a new security hole to exist.

That is what Microsoft is known for.

merlin_2

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 01:34:06 PM »
    its so obvious that most  anti-virus/m$oft would be out of bussiness if their products were any good ....the conspiracy theory comes into play...you  will have to just as in life gamble what software is used for firewalls virus detection and operating systems isps etc...most may contain scumware spyware adware  etc...by having a dig at posters is out of order and it solves nothing ...nothing at all...imho..