Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Processor or RAM?  (Read 2715 times)

joe tucker

Processor or RAM?
« on: December 19, 2005, 01:54:15 PM »
Well I recently reinstalled windows, and ever since my computers been locking up and coming up with hardware errors. Which has never happened before in the two years i've had my computer.
I was wondering, which would fix the problem, new RAM or a new processor.

GX1_Man

Re: Processor or RAM?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 03:42:33 PM »
Well with the wealth of information provided, I would say check your RAM with a free download at www.memtest86.com

Check each stick individually, and then together if more than one. Let it run a couple of hours each time.

Posting a few specifics about your system could be helpful, but this will give you something to do.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 07:48:24 PM by GX1_Man »

joe tucker

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 04:54:08 PM »
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.7GHz)
512MB RAM
256MB Video Card
DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity Motherboard
(built by me)

joe tucker

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 05:00:06 PM »
and how do i check them?

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 07:48:42 PM »
Download the free program above and run it.

joe tucker

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 12:19:14 PM »
what do i do if there is something wrong with my ram? just get new sticks?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 03:12:30 PM »
Yes.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

joe_tucker

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005, 08:47:59 AM »
OK Joe, when you did the re-install, did you re-partition the hard-drive and FULL format to NTFS? yes

If you open a command window and type chkdsk do you see 4096 bytes in each allocation unit somewhere? yes

What was the initial reason which caused you to have to re-install? no apparent reason.. just wanted too.
How old is the computer? 2 years
 Has the CMOS battery ever been changed and has the RAM ever been re-seated? yes they both have.. just before i wiped it too.

Is the inside of the cabinet free of dust and are all fans running properly? thats the reason i took out the ram. (dust) and the fans are running

Can you run a test on your RAM and also run the drive manufacturer's drive diagnostic diskette on to test the hard-drive? how?

What is the drive size, partition size, drive speed, buffer size and which sort of IDE cables are you using? 60GB, don't know the rest.  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2005, 08:49:13 AM by joe_tucker »

Tadracket

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »
Did you have anything connected to the computer when you reinstalled windows? Anything with a driver CD like a game pad or barcode scanner(what? you never know) that may not have originally been supported by XP? Well I assume you have XP, do you have 2000? You say hardwar problems, does it say what hardware?

joe_tucker

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 04:41:37 PM »
XP and no i didn't have anything connected..
but im getting new ram sticks (2gb) so i guess that hopefully will deal w/ the problem.. thanks