Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: KVM Switch  (Read 2394 times)

Frankie

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    KVM Switch
    « on: December 22, 2005, 04:20:22 PM »
    Can somone tell me if i would lose any performance by using a KVM Switch between two computers. One as a games machine the other for my work.

Thanks.
    « Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:21:19 PM by Frankie »

racealoot

.Re: KVM Switch
    « Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:36:53 PM »
    there is no reason why you should. Only a hub is the only think where you would be putting a choke point. But 2 comp. even a hub should be ok. You should be fine

Pensionada

Beginner
      Re: KVM Switch
      « Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 09:52:37 AM »
      Can somone tell me if i would lose any performance by using a KVM Switch between two computers. One as a games machine the other for my work.

Thanks.

I have been using one for more than a year between my private desktop and my companies docking station (for a laptop)
      The one I use is the Supervisor SMART by Minicom (http://www.minicom.com/kvm_smart24.htm)
      There is no loss of performance as the systems are not aware that you are switching keybaord, mouse and monitor. I would typically have both systems running at the same time and switch control from one system to the other by hitting SHIFT +.
      There are a few ideosyncrasies (like start up order) but you get used to that quickly.
      Recommended!
      Rob
      Rob