Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I have run out of ideas...  (Read 2447 times)

Jdoobs

I have run out of ideas...
« on: December 23, 2005, 11:52:50 AM »
CPU: P4 3.4 Ghz
Mem: 1G (2x 512) corsair PC4200
HD: Seagate Barracuda 250GB
Mobo: ECS PF21 Extreme 925XE Socket 775
PSU: ASPIRE ATX-AS520W ATX 520W
OD: LITE-ON ATAPI / E-IDE DVD-ROM

So here is the scoop...

In june, I purchased parts to put my own rig together. A friend and I did so sucessfully and my rig worked for about 3 months. Then one morning I went out for an hour or so and came back to find that there was no picture on my monitor. I moved the mouse but no picture came back. I took it in to have another video card tested and that wasn't the problem. I tired everything only to determine that my CPU had been burned. I sent it in and got a replacement, put it in my mobo and still there was no video. So I sent in my mobo, and got a replacement.

Now, I put everything together and turn on my computer. It stays on for about 45 seconds or so and then shuts off completely. No power at all. I was fiddling with it and maganed to produce video once and it told me that there was something wrong with CMOS. I pressed DEL to enter setup and the screen went blank with just the blinking cursor. So after each time I turn the computer on and it loses power after 45 seconds, I can't turn it back on until I take the jumpers off for CMOS and put them back on. After I do that, it does the same thing.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 12:46:49 PM by Jdoobs »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: I have run out of ideas...
    « Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 12:21:18 PM »
    JdoobsWell ......It seems you have been fiddling with a lot of the components.....The CPU ( was fried ) , the mobo replaced , the vid card swapped ...etc ......
    How about more info ...about :
    MOBO
    CPU
    whats in the box as far as storage drives , optical drives ?

How big a PSU do you have and is it ok ......?

Have you checked to be sure there is no damage to the "new" cpu and did you use the appropriate thermal paste ?  

Is the heat sink and cpu cooling fan installed properly ?

When you reset the CMOS are you able to get back into bios ?

When it starts and runs for approx 45 seconds and then shuts down ........ is the processor hot ( carefully check the heat sink...by touching it )  the pc may be shutting down as a result of the heat sensor .

let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Jdoobs

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 12:33:33 PM »
    Sorry about the late info on stuff in the box, it's in the first post

Some other notes ... I have tried swapping the PSU out and I get the same results

My CPU came with a sink and fan unit with a block of thermal paste already on the sink. I have taken the CPU out a couple times to reseat that.

The heatsink does get warm.

I figured that if the heatsink was getting warm then the processor isn't busted, I would at least be getting video. The monitor receives nothing though. Not even a load before BIOS.

Jdoobs

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 12:53:32 PM »
    bump