Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Quick launch problem  (Read 5001 times)

Svjetla

Quick launch problem
« on: December 24, 2005, 05:01:54 AM »

Hi all,

I have a problem with starting quick launch icons in the left side of my taskbar. I use Winows XP and have administrator rights on my laptop.

Every time I start any quick launch icon, I see message on desktop :
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item!"
After I see that message, my only option is to click OK button and nothing happens than.

Desktop ickons work properly.

Could someone please help me to solve this problem, because  sometimes I really need quick launch to work properly!

Thanks

Svjetla

Re: Quick launch problem
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 05:14:24 AM »

Thanks for fast response,

but I have alredy tried it for at least ten times!

Every time after your proposal procedure I see alredy written message on desktop !

>:(

Svjetla

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 06:03:37 AM »
Hi MAC, here are the answers on your proposal actions:

Have you tried TweakUI for XP (Icons Repair Option)?

Yes, I tried it before one hour, and error messages when I try to start quick launch are the same!

:-/

Did you try to increase icon cache size with regedit??

The answer is the same as for first proposal. I have increased icon cache size value to 4096 and later to 8192, but the error message is not changed. I also rebooted the computer to changes be accepted, but nothing!

>:(

I am still without solution!!

Please help!!

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 11:24:00 AM »
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item!"  

Have you tried to access a shortcut from the desktop before dragging it to the taskbar?
    Have you somehow locked your taskbar with a 3rd party program?
    Start in safe mode and try them?
    Is it happening to all taskbar quickstart icons?

Svjetla

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 09:35:39 AM »
    Hi, here are the answers on your questions:

Have you tried to access a shortcut from the desktop before dragging it to the taskbar?

Yes, When I start aplication with desktop shortcut it works perfect. Then I use  the same shortcut from desktop and  dragg-drop it to quick launch. After that action I see error message  "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item!". Then I dragg-drop it again on desktop and it works normally again (when I start it from desktop).

Have you somehow locked your taskbar with a 3rd party
    program?

I think no, because taskbar icons on the right side of taskbar (near clock) work perfect. Just quick launch icons problem.

Start in safe mode and try them?

Yes, I have started it in safe mode with network options and I see the same message when I start quick launch icons. I have Windows 2000 on the same lap-top and quick launch icons work normaly with that OS.

Is it happening to all taskbar quickstart icons?

Yes, it is happening to all taskbar quick launch icons. The output message you can see in answer on your first question!

:-[

Svjetla

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 06:26:44 AM »
    Hi Mac,

For the beginning thanks a lot for your support.

But unfortunately I have to disappoint you again. I tried to send you print screen of some installed programs in my lap-top. But it seems it is not possible to do on this way. So you have to trust me that service pack 2 is alredy installed on this computer.

I write also few sentences for general description of my quick launch problem. Quick launch icons have worked properly when XP has been installed in this lap-top. But before one month I had problems with one business application which I have installed. That application has occupied whole C system disk of my laptop (full capacity of C disc). It should not happen because that application was not so huge and I had enough place on hard disk. Unpredictable error has occurred. I could not shut down lap-top from that moment; it was possible to do just physically on button. So I had to disable hibernate option to free some memory on system disc. After that action I could normally shut down the notebook, and after first restart C system disc occupation size was OK.  Everything was OK with restart, hibernating and shut down of notebook, but this problem with quick launch occurred from that moment.  

I suppose that you have full description of my problem now! It makes me more and more nervous. Sometimes I need fast start of some applications over quick launch, but it is not possible… Error message is the same every time.

If you have some proposal(s) please write. Everything except reinstallation of XP is acceptable, because I do not have official rights to do that on this lap-top.

Thanks in advance!

:'(

Svjetla

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 05:57:25 AM »
    Hi,

As I have written I do not have rights to reinstall Windows on this lap-top, because it is official one. I did not perform anything regarding changing processor speed on it.

I also think that there should be some solution for this quick launch problem without reinstallation. In all documentation I analyzed this days is written that destination path for quick launch is in folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

There are quick launch icons present in this folder in my home PC and it works perfect.

I checked quick launch paths in afectted notebook and I noticed two quick launch paths:

1)      C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

2)      C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Cookies\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

It is possible to start (left mouse double click) quick launch icons in folder number 1. But if I want to start icons from folder number 2 there is the SAME ERROR MESSAGE like I receive from desktop quick launch starting.

When I see location of quick launch icons form desktop (right mouse click on desktop quick launch icon->properties->general) I see its location in folder number 2.

Is there any way to change target of desktop quick launch icons from folder

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Cookies\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

To

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

I think it is solution (without reinstalling Wiondows) of my quick launch error message: Windows cannnot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item.

Is it maybe virus (or something) what forwards me in Cookies folder???

Thanks

Svjetla

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 10:33:53 AM »
    Hi all,

I fixed the quick launch problem. Now it works perfect.

I have tried to delete Cookies/Aplication data folder and move it to recycle bin. But every time I have received message it was not possible because it was Windows system folder.  So I have just draged&dropped „Aplication Data“ system folder from my wrong „cookies“ path to this correct one:

C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

The old one Aplication Data folder was overwritten with new one and BINGO!!! Now it works!    ;D

But still I do not know how was my Quick Launch folder moved from correct path to bad (cookies) one??? Cause of problem was not initiated by me. I know the solution and problem seems very stupid now (for me at least), but I spent a lot of time during holidays to fix it.

Now it will be much easier to work with few applications at the same time with quick launch fixed.

We can close this topic now!!!!!        

MAC thanks a lot for your help&support!!!

Happy New Year!