Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Editing a scanned document  (Read 2641 times)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Editing a scanned document
    « on: May 05, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
    Am trying in vain to edit a scanned text which I had typed in WORD and saved on my desktop. 
    The scanned text could not be saved in WORD but in PICTURES where it is impossible to edit it.
    Can I save the scanned document in WORD?
    I am on WINDOWS 10, WORD 2016, and PHOTOSHOP CS6.

Thank you in advance for your help, particularly as my several futile attemtps to edit the scanned text have given me a headache.

Thanks again.

Joe Busuttil
    GUZEPPI

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Editing a scanned document
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:50:16 AM »
    OCR ( Optical Character Recognition ) software is needed. Many of the Scanners these days have a utility bundled with them that you should be able to print out that document and scan it with the OCR turned on and it should lift it back to a text format that can then be edited. At least that's the method I used the last time I was in this snafu. There is probably also a method that saves ink/toner to scan an image file for text, but I don't have any software solutions available for that that I have used to make any suggestions.

Scanner I used was an old Canon flatbed scanner that came bundled with OCR software to lift text back to an editable document. I have seen all-in-one printer/fax/copiers also have this software bundled with them to OCR lift text back to electronic document format.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 04:43:26 PM »
    Here is more information about OCR and why you need it.
    https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/o/ocr.htm
    Methods of input

Data are generally passed to the computer by using a scanner or other hardware device, like a digital camera. Some computer fax applications use OCR to transform incoming faxes from graphics files into word processing documents.
    Also:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000590.htm
    ... If you want to scan a text document and adjust or modify its text, you must use a software program with Optical Character Recognition (OCR)  ...
    The OCR program should be part of the software that come with the scanner.  :)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »
      Renewed thanks for your help.

Have succeeded in downloading (or is the right word "accessing"?) FREE OCR, but unfortunately, when the text popped up in WORD, I could not find the cursor to edit
      the document.

Where did I go wrong?

Joe Busuttil
      GUZEPPI