Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: scanner twain source problem  (Read 2675 times)

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    scanner twain source problem
    « on: December 27, 2005, 08:52:10 PM »
    I have an Epson 1670 scanner hooked up to windows xp on my pc. Last week while trying to scan a picture I got a message saying
    " scan could not be started could not open twain source make sure it is a valid source for the scanner.
    I have never had any problems with this scanner in the 2 years I've owned it. I tried opening it from its software interface and got a message
    "unable to start the scanner because it is not ready or another application is using it"
    The scanner is ready and I can't think of any other programs that is using it. There might have been a problem with a Trojan virus I downloaded 3 weeks ago. I discovered it and had to purchase and install Doctor spyware to remove it. It removed it but I seem to recall some kind of twain source message that flashed across my screen at the time. Is there a connection? A friend said to go to device manager and uninstall the drivers, then go to windows twain directory folder and delete its contents. I went to device manager in the control panel and open the folder but it was blank, no scanner nothing just a blank folder. This got me thinking that it might be more than just a simple problem. any suggestions for the next step would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: scanner twain source problem
      « Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 09:11:45 PM »
      pursuant....... The easiest thing for you to try would be to completely uninstall your scanner .......including any drivers .....reboot and make sure its gone ......and then reinstall it . ( I assume you have the cd which came with your scanner )
      That should solve your issue .
      Are you certain that you have removed the trojan ?

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 09:12:36 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

pursuant

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
        Re: scanner twain source problem
        « Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:20:10 AM »
        I have done a uninstall from the add/remove section of the control panel, a couple of times. Does that remove the drivers as well? I know there is a twain folder in windows directory, does that have to be removed too?
        As for the trojan...well I think so . I downloaded  Doctor Spyware and it seem to catch quite a few things. I ran a list of exe files in search and found one that I looked up and it was one of these trojan files. I deleted it. I run spyware everyday and I'm not catching anything that appears bad so at this point I think I got it but I am not positve. I run 3 spyware programs and I have an updated antivirus program. I hope this is enough.
        Thanks again for the suggestion