Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: compressed files  (Read 3048 times)

walter

compressed files
« on: December 29, 2005, 03:22:00 AM »
i will shortly receive a program via e mail in the form of compressed files. can someone explain to me how i can copy the program from outlook express to a floppy or cd in the form that i can then install and use please. i am using xp pro. thx in anticipation.

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: compressed files
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:26:53 AM »
    Uncompress it & see what's there.
    Do you trust the source?

GX1_Man

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 03:33:43 AM »
    Here is a program that will help if it is a zip file. Free to try.

http://www.winzip.com/

Blackberry

Adviser
    • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
      « Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 04:56:36 AM »
      or you can use winrar (www.winrar.com)
      Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

walter

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 02:41:15 AM »
      thx for the replies. the source of the message is trustworthy. can anyone tell me how i get the message from outlook express onto a floppy or other medium after i have decompressed it,  so that i can install and use the programs later. thx.

Blackberry

Adviser
      • For those with wings, fly to your dreams.
        « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 06:03:41 AM »
        thx for the replies. the source of the message is trustworthy. can anyone tell me how i get the message from outlook express onto a floppy or other medium after i have decompressed it,  so that i can install and use the programs later. thx.

do you mean the tekst message or do you mean the attachement you got with your text
        Everybody knows you can't click here. But I know you will try it :)

walter

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 04:33:02 AM »
        sorry i didn't make it clear. i meant the attachment.walter

royphil345

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 08:49:43 AM »
        I haven't used Outlook for a while, but it should be fairly easy to right or left click on the attachment and choose save. You'll probably be asked to browse for a location to save it to. From there you can burn it to a CD or floppy.  XP has built-in capabilities for most compressed file types. If it's a supported type, it will appear as a folder with a zipper on it. Most times you can go into the folder, view or run the files no problem. If the program won't run, right click on the zippered folder, select "extract", and choose a location to extract the files to.
        « Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 08:54:10 AM by royphil345 »

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 03:58:33 PM »
          walter....... Ok here's how I would deal with it .... and bear in mind that this is the way I would do it .......others may have their own preferance..   Open outlook Express .......go to the IN box ......find the Email containing the compressed file .......open the Email ......and then from the attachment line.... right click on the compressed file and choose copy .......now close up your Outlook Express and go back to your desktop ..... paste the compressed file onto your desktop .....then create a new folder on your desktop and then drag the compressed file into the new folder ......name the folder using the apps name thats in there .  then open the folder . You will see the compressed file ( it will probably be in either a Zipped format or a RAR format ....) then right click on the compressed file and choose Extract here ..... the file will be unpacked ( unzipped or unrared ) and you should see a install icon and possibly a readme file .......Now you can .....either click on the icon and it will install onto your machine now or .......if you wish to burn it to a cd open your burning app and use the browse to navigate to your desktop and then to the new folder your created and drag it into your burning app and then burn it .......
          Then when its finished ..... close up the burning program ......close up the folder you created on the desktop with the app in it ......right click on it and choose COPY .......then go to My Computer , C: and open it ...look and see if you have a folder there called "Downloads" if you have paste the folder from your desktop into it . .....If you dont have a file called Downloads .....create one ...and then paste the new folder from your desktop into it ......
          Now you have it to use when ever you wish .   Then you can go back to your desktop and delete the folder you created there .
          Here's a tip for you ....If you wish to either send or receive large compressed files...... you can use for example MSN messenger .....it will transfer a large file faster than E mail

Hope this helps you .

dl65  ::)
          « Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 03:59:06 PM by dl65 »
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.