Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I can't disable Fix connection problems button  (Read 2334 times)

thetmdth666

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I can't disable Fix connection problems button
    « on: July 15, 2018, 04:00:49 AM »
    Hi there! I'm Thierry.

So I am currently working on kiosk and was doing good on locking it down until I discovered that if end user clicks on a broken link they get "This page can't be displayed".  The issue is when they get this page there is a "Fix connection problems" button on the page.  A user is able to click it and with some navigation can reach the control panel.

Is there a group policy, Registry setting or IE setting that will disable the "Fix connection problems" button?
    ufabet
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I can't disable Fix connection problems button
    « Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:04:32 AM »
    If you rename Control.exe to say Control1.exe they wont be able to get to control panel because the program itself is normally Control.exe ; however not sure if the error condition would spill them over to another condition where they would have other privileges that they shouldnt have.

This is at C:\Windows\System32 for Windows 7 and prior systems.

Back when I was a systems admin for a food store I made some custom kiosks for the customers to use and I renamed lots of stuff as a means of hiding access to stuff that I didnt want customers who were skilled in computers to gain access to if they somehow got to a control prompt etc. Additionally I didnt run the kiosk in admin but instead I created a user account with the bare minimum privileges so that they were locked out of stuff and couldnt make certain changes as well as couldnt download and install stuff etc. The brower itself was locked down tight. I made my own browser with user interface in C# which was pretty simple since I had a C# 2008 programming book that had step by step how to make your own browser environment and with other stuff with the book added I was able to make my own kiosk program that launched a dumbed down explorer like browser environment and kept them to the user interface. I also took a keyboard and an exacto knife and opened it up and cut the traces to the F keys and Windows Key and other keys that were not necessary for the customers to have access to making for a restricted use keyboard that when keys were pressed that were electronically disabled nothing would happen. When i needed a full keyboard, I would plug in my USB keyboard along side the altered keyboard and have all keys available to me, when I unplugged my keyboard the customers were stuck with innocent keys that are harmless of any combination to gaining elevated or unintended privileges.

As far as the Fix Connection Problems Button ... If your able to store the data ( website ) locally to that system the data will always be there and so you should never get this condition, however if the kiosk requires access to web pages that are dynamic and always changing this wouldnt be a perfect fix as for the locally stored pages of the website could be resolved locally and the external pages if there is a network issue or the web admin made a problem where a page is not there then this condition could still happen. The best fix for this would be to have a web interface made specifically for this system that the kiosk accesses locally on its own hard drive, and have an automated process that updated the locally stored web pages. This way they always are there and you wont get the Fix Connection problem.