Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: internet trouble with dsl  (Read 3312 times)

km6312

internet trouble with dsl
« on: December 29, 2005, 09:19:33 AM »
trying to help my parents, they got verizon dsl and we can't get it running. we've called their help line (over 3 hours worth). they say somethings wrong with the computer. it won't load the internet unless you ping. they've got a dell with windows xp. the dsl light on the modem is steady but the usb and the internet never are. ran a virus check and came up with nothing.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: internet trouble with dsl
    « Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 01:32:52 PM »
    km6312....... Ok .....first of all .....are we talking about a desktop or laptop?
    Then go to control panel / system / click the hardware tab ...... then device manager .....then scroll down to NETWORK Adapters .......left click on it ...... then on the adapter that is installed .....double left click on that and then see if it shows up as working ok .......

What kind of a dsl modem do they have and is there a cd that came with it ......and were the setup instructions followed to the letter ?
    Is there a router between the modem and the computer ?
    Have you tried a differant cable from the modem to the computer ?

Do they have any firewalls installed on the computer ?

let us know

dl65
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

go2doug1

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:23:53 AM »
    it won't load the internet unless you ping.

Huh?

they've got a dell with windows xp. the dsl light on the modem is steady but the usb and the internet never are. ran a virus check and came up with nothing.

Are you saying that the DSL modem has a USB connection? I would try using a patch cord and connecting the DSL modem to the LAN port on the NIC rather than in one of the USB ports. I've never had good experiences with using the USB functionality of cable and DSL modems.

Also please post more details about the problem. Can you ping websites? What do you get when you do an ipconfig? Do websites says "page cannot be displayed"? DL65's questions should be answered too.

km6312

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 01:05:01 PM »
    thanks for helping, not sure what I did but everything seems to be working for now.