Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unfollow this topic Photo Cannot find out the problem with my computer! Its driv  (Read 1898 times)

jcgonzmo

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    The computer would turn on but no signal going to the monitor. Sometimes, the computer would turn on and there was no signal going to the monitor, keyboard and mouse. I run a FULL SCAN with Kapersky antivirus an there was no virus in any of the 3 hard drives. Finally, the other day everything was fine until I tried to connect a pair of headphones to the back of my desktop. When I was connecting the headphone I kind of push the desktop with my elbow and I lost the signal to the monitor. I adjusted the cable monitor but still no signal. I have not been able to use my desktop for 2 weeks. What could be the problem? What should I do?

This are my components:

1) GPU : PowerColor PCS+ AMD Radeon HD 7870 Myst. Edition 2 GB GDDR5 DVI/HDMI/2Mini DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card AX7870 2GBD5-2DHPPV3E

2) PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W (New, I changed the old one because I thought it was the problem)

3) Processor: Intel Core-i5 3350P Quad-Core Processor 3.1 Ghz 6 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637i53350P

4) RAM: 16 GB

5) Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-B75M-D3H

I had it check by 2 people, one is a friend that used to build computers a long time ago and the other one is my gamer friend that build computers as a hobby:

Friend .- Said the PSU was faulty. Then he also said there was a problem either with the processor or the connection of the motherboard to the processor.

Gamer Friend.- I gave him my computer. Told me connected his PSU and the machine worked. Dediced to buy the new PSU you guys see up there. He reinstalled Windows 10 Pro. When I took the computer to my house, it immediatly started presenting the same problem (it did not work even once). He came back to my house and proceded to disconnect and reconnect the GPU. Then he disconnected GPU, Sound Card, RAM. Nothing, the computer would turn on and off, sometimes it would stay on just a little bit longer. Long enough to see the BIOS screen. Then it would turn off. The he tried to reset the bios with a paper clip. For a while it worked, the machine stayed on. We left the machine on for 10 minutes and turned it off. Again the problem of turning on and off. He does not know where the problem lies because apparently my motherboard does not have the small speaker that emits sound to tell you what the problem is (the guy I mentioned previously said the same thing). In the end he told me "Man, I do not know what happened. In my house it worked with a new PSU, everything was fine. I reinstalled everything. The only thing that I can tell you is that I was lucky and you need to change motherboard, CPU and new RAM." He recommended me buying this

·         Intel 8th Gen Core i5-8400 Processor $178

·         

·         GIGABYTE B360M DS3H (LGA1151/Intel/Micro ATX/USB 3.1 Gen 1 (USB3.0) Type A/DDR4/Motherboard) $68

16 GB RAM - The cheapest I can find DDR4.

Kind of bum out the computer only felt short of 5 years. It only lasted 49 months. When I built it, I was planning for it to last 10 years, and keep update with only a new GPU. Getting married right now, paying for a house, honey moon etc. Did no want to spend money on my hobby....  I am not a big PC gamers. Only play on PC for certain firs person shooters (was planning on buying Wolfenstein 2, Prey, Rage 2 and Doom Eternal) and any RTS released by Paradox. However, I did love working on my 27" ASUS led monitor instead of my 14" Lenovo laptop. I do not know what to do now. Maybe just buy an ultra dock to connect the laptop to the monitor? I mean, even if I fix my desktop right now, I will not be buying a new GPU right away, I would be using the old one. The GPU right now are really expensive.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    You post is very complete. Good. The is hardly anything else you could try.

Here is my question for you: How much time are you wiling to invest in this? There is an old saying "Time is Money."

You might be able to sell off the components of your system to somebody who likes to build computers. Meanwhile, you could just go get a new computer with a warranty.

What did you pay for the computer 5 years ago? Maybe $998? If so it cost you $220 a year to have a computer. Now if you can buy a new replacement computer for $599 and it has a three year warranty, your again have a computer that would cost your $200 a year. But it might last longer and perform better.  :D

My point is this. You have done most of the things anybody could do and have not found the problem. It may be multiple issues  :'(

jcgonzmo

Topic Starter

Starter

Thanks for your reply man. This was my first gaming PC. When I built it I was sold on the idea that it was better than a laptop because It would last  as long as I want, a laptop would die after just 3-4 years  (I am writing this on a 6-8 year old laptop I use for work, ironically). Obviously, the laptop is docked an it is only used for documents. My home PC I used it every day browsing, watching videos, streaming movies, tv series, gaming, etc. EVERY SINGLE DAY,. I would go to sleep an just leave it on until 2 AM because I would stream series before going to sleep to my room. I was sold on the idea that if I wanted to update my PC after a while to play the latest games, I would just need to buy a new GPU (I was waiting for 1070īs price come down). I guess psychologically, In my mind I still think it is just unconceivable that I need to invest so much in a new machine, when I was expecting it to last at least 10 years before building a new one. I know  that it will not play the latest games, but at least I would have proper computer to work. Was I wrong to expect so much from my computer?
      Including the 27" ASUS led monitor, case, gaming mouse and keyboard I spent around $1546
      Right now I spent $80 for a new 750W PSU + $10 for a GPU holder
      I guess I would have to buy new motherboard, ram, processor and keep the old GPU until 1070 comes down in price.

Term_ite

Beginner
        Before spending money on new parts or new system make sure your power bar & plug that you are plugged into are 100%. Maybe try a different power bar & move the computer to a different part of your home where you would be plugged into a different circuit before swapping a bunch of parts.

jcgonzmo

Topic Starter

Starter

Everything plugged to the same sockets is working (amplifier, modem, router, monitor). I would try in a different part of my house though.

Term_ite

Beginner
            I'm a retired electrician & I've seen power bars with 1 & 2 faulty plugs, bad wall receptacles & dirty power ( voltage fluctuations) do crazy things to electronic equipment. Just hoping I can save you some money. Good luck.