Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer makes sirene-like noise.  (Read 5681 times)

Raptor

Computer makes sirene-like noise.
« on: August 05, 2004, 08:01:36 AM »
I installed my new 420 Watt power supply (Chieftec), took out my 9800Pro and two 512mb DDR RAM modules. I also installed my Aero 7 Lite Coolermaster cooler (CPU).

All seems to work, at first the computer starts, then a wailing noise (Sirenes) comes out of the PC speaker and it shuts it's self down.

What could be the problem? I have rechecked all the cables, they all seem to be fine. I disconnected the Cooler for a short amount of time and the sirene is still being played. The power supply is brand new, so is the cooler.

I am quite clueless as I have never installed a new PSU and I have no idea why it would play the sirene sound rathern than a few simple bleeps at startup. I understand that this must be something that I have to handle with caution, hence the sirenes.

Help would be greatly appreciated. (I am now using a different computer)

johnwill

Re: Computer makes sirene-like noise.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 08:08:41 AM »
Sounds like the fan isn't connected to the proper MB connector, or the tach isn't being sensed.  That's the MB telling you that it has a cooling issue because of no processor fan.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 08:19:40 AM »
It seems to be properly connected. The fan is powered directly by the PSU. The PSU has male plugs, whilst the fan has two types of connectors, one with male plugs as on the PSU and one with female plugs. I donot know wheter I should connect both or just one of the plugs. The manual was not very specific, it mainly covered installing the PCI or 3.5" rack for speed adjustment and attaching the clips properly.

I will have a look on the Coolermaster website.

However, the CPU fan is NOT connected to the CPU 3-pin conncetor. A case fan is connected to the CPU 3-pin connector. (I had to make some improvise when installing case fans a while ago). How is it possible that it still detects the CPU as being fanless? Also, the 3 pin connector only has one cable leading to it. The other two cables lead to the speed adjustment rack.

By the way, what would a 'tach' be?

Here is the cooler I currently have installed:

Aero 7 Lite CP5-8J71F

« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 08:24:55 AM by Raptor »

Raptor

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 08:39:47 AM »
The coolermaster website is very... Inadequate, it does not profide much more info than that which is described on both the box and manual.

Could it be my CPU is damaged? The Aero 7 Lite was quite large and I had quite some trouble installing it. However, the same goes for the Zalman cooler which I had previously installed.

I have checked and experimented with the cooler, could the sirene indicate another problem? Why else would it shut down after a few seconds rather than just continuing to function?

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 01:35:08 PM »
I have determined that my CPU is damaged beyond repair.

The very low quality CPU paste allready applied to the copper core grinded my CPU's left edge of the core and it is now incapable of operating my system.

johnwill

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 02:28:22 PM »
OOPS!  That shouldn't happen!

However, the lash-up you describe for powering the fan is also bad, since it doesn't connect the fan to the MB fan connector.  The siren sounds is normally the fan failure sound, that's because the MB didn't sense a fan plugged into the connector.  I think you have the wrong fan for your MB...

Raptor

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2004, 05:15:51 AM »
The CPU appears to chipped from the left side. The core has been damaged and the result is a strange almost asphalt like flickering left side. (I knew the grinding noise from the heatsink was a bad sign.)

However, since one of the case fans is connected to the CPU fan connector it should not have detected the CPU fan as faulty, since I would have tricked it into believing that the CPU fan is connected and working properly.

Many thanks to AMD for helping me in the destruction of my CPU on my ongoing search for a better cooling solution.

Next time it'll be Intel. Ofcourse, I first have to replace this chip..

Joleen

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2004, 05:54:13 AM »
Raptor: Why is it you get to have all the fun?  :)

Raptor

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004, 09:28:21 AM »
I must have done something very righteous in a previous life.