Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cannot read port name from registry  (Read 3074 times)

lrs52200

Cannot read port name from registry
« on: December 30, 2005, 10:30:51 AM »
Computer info: ProGen, Pentium Processor MMX 233MHZ, IE 5.5, Windows 98

I do not know if this is a hardware and/or software problem as it involves several issues.

1)  On Start up, the computer runs through the usual BIOS, copyright info and finds the CD rom., then I get:
"Floppy disk(s) fail(40)"  "Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup."

I changed the floppy disk thinking that it was junk - didn't fix the problem.  It still gives this error.

2)  "Could not detect modem."  (I realize that you must be tired of hearing this, but nothing addresses my issue, as you will see)
     I purchased a US Robotics 56k Fax Modem (external).  It worked fine, then I had to remove it for silly reasons.  When I finally convinced the computer's owner that he needed this external modem because they no longer make the one that came with the computer, I reinstalled the modem.  Only it doesn't work now.  (the modem has been checked with another computer and is operational)
    This is what has been happening:
3.  After I press F1 to continue (on boot), the computer invariably "finds new hardware" which of course is my external modem (mind you, the modem is already installed and configured).  It automatically installs the software for the device.
4.  Upon trying to connect to the internet, I get the dreaded:  "could not detect modem."
5.  Looking at "modem" in the control panel, I see that although I've already installed this modem, it is installed again as:  "US Robotics 56k fax modem #2."  I look at the properties of the 1st modem, they are there and there are no conflicts.  I right click the #2 modem and it says:  "Modem properties could not be displayed because the modem info is corrupt.  Remove this modem by clicking remove and add it again."
6.  I remove the #2 modem and try to connect again.  I still get, "cannot detect modem."
7.  Device Manager confirms the existence of the modem and that there are no conflicts.  Then I get a popup window that says:  "Cannot read port name from registry"  The modem is assigned COM1.  
8.  Driver Tab/Driver file details confirms the modem, provider etc., but also shows 15 driver files for this modem.
9.  Trying to run diagnostics on the modem I get confirmation that it is trying to communicate with the modem, then I get a popup window:  "OpenComm - Port Already Open."

I've uninstalled and reinstalled this modem more times than I can remember.  US Robotics hasn't got a clue as to why this is happening, their response has been to uninstall and reinstall the modem.

I am frustrated beyond mentioning since I had this silly thing working on this computer right out of the box, and disconnected it 1 time and upon reconnect...well, you know the rest.
Can anyone help me?

Just a quick update.....

Somehow I was able to get the computer to stop reinstalling my already installed modem, however, I am still unable to 'communicate' with the modem and I am still receiving the "cannot read port name from registry" issue.  
 Since my last post, I have deleted the modem from the system and deleted the modem drivers from the registry and then reinstalled the modem/drivers but to no avail.   I am still getting that error message.

As an aside, it is rumored that when one gets this type of error, it may be caused by Rnaap running in the background so it is suggested that one enter the windows task manager, click on Rnaap, and then on end task to solve your problem -  it didn't solve my problem

Any help would be appreciated-
« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 01:00:57 PM by lrs52200 »

Dell4700

Re: Cannot read port name from registry
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 02:00:56 PM »
Here are some suggestions:

1)  On Start up, the computer runs through the usual BIOS, copyright info and finds the CD rom., then I get:
"Floppy disk(s) fail(40)"  "Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup."

I changed the floppy disk thinking that it was junk - didn't fix the problem.  It still gives this error.

- make sure you remove any disks in the drive (unless you are trying to boot from your floppy drive - you didn't say?).

- if you are trying to boot normally (C: drive) when you receive the floppy disk failure, you need to change the boot order in your BIOS to make the hard drive your first boot device (enter Setup to do this).  This should eliminate the floppy error on boot, but will not fix the overlying problem.

- if you recently replaced the floppy and received the error, you need to make sure it is connected properly (power and data cable).

2)  "Could not detect modem."  (I realize that you must be tired of hearing this, but nothing addresses my issue, as you will see)
      I purchased a US Robotics 56k Fax Modem (external).  It worked fine, then I had to remove it for silly reasons.  When I finally convinced the computer's owner that he needed this external modem because they no longer make the one that came with the computer, I reinstalled the modem.  Only it doesn't work now.  (the modem has been checked with another computer and is operational)

- Is your former modem still installed?  If so, you should first remove it physically from the system and then uninstall all related drivers and software.  Use the Add/Remove Software in your Control Panel and Device Manager in your System Properties to make sure it is removed.

- You should remove the new modem from your system following the same procedure.  You should now have no modem, modem software, drivers, libraries or other related stuff installed or showing in your device controls, dialup networking or modem control panels?

- at this point, you should reinstall the new modem following exactly the procedures given in the installation manual.  If it is a USB modem, you will probably be told to install the software and drivers first, otherwise, follow the instructions.

- when you verify that the new modem is installed, you may need to reset your dialup connection unless it was part of your modem procedures.  You may need a system or ISP provided setup disk to accomplish this.

If the above doesn't cure your problem or if you have any questions about the procedure, let us know.  If the procedures fail, tell us specifically where and how.  This will help avoid guesswork on our part.

Dell

lrs52200

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 07:25:20 AM »
Thanks for the info., but it didn't work.  Here's what I did, step by step:

(Please note that the old modem was removed long ago, there are no disks left in any of the drives, and the Floppy Disk Fail error was happening before I changed the drive)

1.  Unplugged the external modem (US Robotics 56k faxmodem) from the computer.
2.  Started computer, received the Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40) error message.
3.  Entered setup, changed the boot sequence A, C, SCSI to evey other option available, (in sequence) and none of them worked.  The other options were:
     a)  A, C, SCSI                    e)  D, A, SCSI                 i)  SCSI, C, A
     b)  C, A, SCSI                     f)  E, A, SCSI                 j)  C only
     c)  C, CDROM, A                 g)  F, A, SCSI                 k)  LSI20, C
     d)  CDROM, C, A                 h)  SCSI, A, C

This error (Floppy Disk(s) Fail (40)) was happening long before the A drive was replaced.  

4.  Hit F1 to continue to windows.
5.  Made sure that no disks were in any of the drives.
6.  Navigated to "Add Remove Programs."  This is what is listed:
       *ATI Display Driver (this is my graphics card)
       *IE 5 & Internet Tools
       *Outlook Express 5
       *Microsoft Media Player 6.1

As you can see, there were no drivers to remove.

7.  Navigated to Device Manager and removed the modem.
8.  Removed the dial up connection
9.  Shut down
10.  Reboot
11.  Click F1 to continue to Windows
12.  As instructed by the installation manual, I connect the modem to the computer

Immediately, the computer "finds new hardware" and then tells me it is installing the software for the device - never giving me a chance to tell it I have the disk.....the windows simply popped up, telling me what it was doing and then they were gone.  (As an aside, whenever it has done this and you go to modems in device manager, you'll indeed find this newely installed modem and when you click on the properties, you are told that the driver information is corrupt and are instructed to remove the modem)

13.  Go to device manager and remove the modem that the computer installed
14.  As instructed by the installation manual, I plug the phone line into the modem
15.  Manually "Add New Hardware"  (because once the computer 'finds new hardware' on boot, even though I've removed it through the device manager, it refuses to find it again)
16.  I click "Have Disk", set the modem to COM1, and receive the  message that it was set up successfully
17.  Immediately the system "Finds new hardware" and tells me - as before - that it is installing the software for the device.  I again navigate to the device manager and remove the US Robotics 56k Faxmodem #2 from the system.
18.  I now set up the connection manually and try to connect to the internet - I receive the message that it cannot detect my modem.

I figured that my port might be screwed up so I even installed it to COM2 - but still the same error message is received.

I've been playing with this stupid thing forever it seems, I even went so far as to reformat my drive and reinstall the operating system (pretty drastic, no?)  but even after all of that - this nonsense keeps happening.

Unless you can think of anything else, maybe I should just get some Holy water and a crucifix  :)
(Sorry, I'm just very, very frustrated because I know very well that the computer only does what it is told. So deep down, I know I am missing something...........I just can't figure out what it is.)

lrs52200

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 06:44:41 AM »
Okay guys........I fixed it.  A very drastic fix.......but I fixed it.

Here's what I had to do:

I removed the hard drive (it was replaced about a year ago with a very large capacity drive and I had to get a BIOS upgrade to make the thing work, and by the way, the larger drive was working fine as well as the faxmodem - right up until the point where he made me remove the modem and reinstall his dead one).  I removed the large drive and replaced it with a smaller drive - reformatted, and reinstalled the operating system, drivers, yadda, yadda, yadda.

and viola!  It works!  

I realize that mine is probably a unique issue.  I just wanted to finish the thread just in case there is someone else out there with a similar problem (doubt it, but it could happen).

This computer is ready for the bone yard - its over 10 years old and I've been cobbing it together with cannibalized parts from other computers for years.  Its time to buy a new one and relegate this one to the kids.

Thanks for your help.