Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: NO SOUND  (Read 1870 times)

Jeffrey

Topic Starter

Beginner

NO SOUND
    « on: August 27, 2018, 12:29:30 AM »
    I have an old (2010) AMD Athlon with a 5.1 High Definition onboard sound card.

In the last couple of weeks, I sometimes cannot get any sound on starting up. After re-booting (once or twice) the sound returns.

I have been told that all computers now have sound cards integrated into motherboards, but my purchase invoice appears to indicate that I  do have a separate sound  card. Is that correct and are replacements available?

I have also been told that a recent MS update may have caused incompatibility  with the hardware. Is this true? If it is, will I have the same problem if I install a new sound card?

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: NO SOUND
    « Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 05:15:39 AM »
    Please do not post the same question more than once. I deleted the duplicate.
    Thank you.

Mark.

Adviser
    • Forum Regular
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: NO SOUND
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
    what is you OS?
    what is the make/model of your motherboard?
    have you checked the soundcard is firmly seated in its slot?  (remove, clean and reseat to check)
    if you uninstall the soundcard and reboot, Windows should auto-detect it and reinstall it for you.
    if not, download the latest driver for that card from the manufacturers website.

if none of that works, may be time for a new card. ;)