Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Boot Disk problem  (Read 4029 times)

Tomas

Boot Disk problem
« on: August 05, 2004, 11:58:08 AM »
I put in my boot disk to run my computer cuz that's what it told me to do, but it doesn't seem to be working.  Well it might be, but I don't know much about computers, so any help would be great.  After running through a few things I get this:

Preparing to start your computer
This may take a few minutes

Windows Millenium Edition has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition.  There are several possible causes.

1. The drive may need to be partitioned. To create a partition on the drive, run FDISK from the MS-DOS command promt.

2. You may be using third-party disk-partitioning software.  If you are using this type of software, remove the Emergency Boot Disk and restart your computer. Then, follow the on-screen instructions to start your computer from a floppy disk.

3. Some viruses also cause your drive C to not register.  You can use a virus scanning program to check your computer for viruses.

The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive C.

MSCDEX Version 2.25
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 198601995. All rights reserved.
             Drive D: = Drive MSCD001 unit 0

Your CD-ROM is drive D

To view Help, type HELP and then press Enter.
A:/>

I think I've done what they told me to do but I'm still getting nowhere. Any help would be very much appreciated.

johnwill

Re: Boot Disk problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 02:31:12 PM »
What are you trying to do with the boot disk?  Why are you booting with it, instead of from the hard disk?

Tomas

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 10:29:03 PM »
I don't want to sound like an idiot but I really don't know what I'm doing.  It got to that on it's own.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2004, 04:24:13 AM »
partion magic has caused this problem...do you a recovery disk or a full version of winme or a boot floppy you may have to delete your partitions...fdisk after the prompt>http://www.newlogic.co.uk/fdisk.htm
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 04:25:00 AM by merlin_2 »

Tomas

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 07:06:16 AM »
That sounds like a good idea, but I don't have the windows disk or a recovery disk. I have a boot disk that i got from bootdisk.com.

merlin_2

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 12:44:12 PM »
what response do you get in you boot into safe mode  hit the f8 on boot?or you could try this place the floppy in the drive and run scandisk at the a :\prompt.. it may not work windows may say invaild media type but try it anyway .......its a worthless answer if you have messing with partiton magic...or you could look  at this to see if it helps>http://www.partition-recovery.com/download.htm  you really need the win install disk..
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 12:48:17 PM by merlin_2 »