Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Serious hard drive dilema  (Read 1904 times)

Fenberry

Serious hard drive dilema
« on: January 01, 2006, 01:32:24 AM »
Ahoy!
I'm new to these forums, so forgive me for any blunder I cause by asking a familiar question etc.
Today after download various torrent anime files over the past few months, I realised my disk space was low, and everything was running extremely slowly <as it normally does when disk space is low> I have two HD's, one 80gb and a smaller 10gb. My win xp is on the 80gb, and my general storage is spread out over both of them. I had 100mb left on my 80gb, and about 1.6gb left on my 10gb HD. I copied over some files to try and balance out the space problem, but it was going too slow, and I stopped the copy during one of the file transfers since the whole computer was freezing up. I restarted the computer by the reset button <since it had totally jammed>, and found out the computer was recognising I had the 10gb HD plugged in at all <though I hadn't even opened the tower at all>. This has happened a few times previously, and I did the usual shutdown, get into the tower box, unplug power cables and the information cables <I'm not sure what they're all called :-[>, re plugged them back in and tried again. Same thing. I shutdown again and then checked the HD's themselves. This computer was built by a friend of mine, so I'm not sure as to the precise config. I'm assuming the Operating System HD should be primary master and any others be the primary slave. However, even though the computer boots off the 80gb, it was set to the primary slave, and the 10gb pure storage was set to primary master. I was a bit confused by this. Also if anyone wants to know, the 10gb was ABOVE the 80gb in the tower in a physical sense, as it may be the config was for the 80gb to always be below the 10gb physically. So I change the jumpers around so that the 80gb is primary master <as I think common sense would dictate>, and then it comes up with after detecting the 80gb as the primary master now as "Invalid service disk" "reboot or press any key" then it went on to say "Boot from cd", and loaded windows fine. I was able to burn off a fair amount of the anime on the 80gb onto writeable cd's, but though it said there was a "Service disk" as my second hard drive, my name for the 10gb didn't show up, and explorer crashed after trying to access the second hard drive. I've tried various combinations of setup in the tower, I've tried various jumper configurations, I've even tried to have the computer detect the second hard drive at the CMOS setup, but nothing has worked. I'm at a total loss, as alot of important documents, my music, various files and saved work was on that storage drive. I cannot even access it to find out if it's totally chock-up with files <as I'm assuming...it may be totally full>, but even though it detects something there <a service disk>, it's as slow as walking through concrete, and I cannot access it by any of my limited computer knowledge. The only thing I can do now is post on these forums and wait for the new years celebrations to be over until I can go see a repair man and hope to salvage anything from my poor drive.

If ANYONE can help, even in the slightest, I'd be very grateful. I've had the drive for a fair while now, and I know 10gb's are probably antique, but I truly want to get my second hard drive back. It was working fine this morning :(

Either post here or please email me at [email protected] I'm truly desperate for some computer fix to my current dilema...

Thanks for reading and I'll post this in the hardware forum as well, if this isn't the right place.

Kind regards
Fenberry

GX1_Man

Re: Serious hard drive dilema
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 02:03:58 PM »
DOUBLE POST

As you are new we will forgive you, but please only post in one area. More than this gets confusing and is unnecessary. How did you do wih the info that was already provided:

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1136104418/5#5