Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Region settings for DVD player  (Read 4587 times)

ojas251

Region settings for DVD player
« on: December 30, 2005, 01:15:06 AM »
Running windows XP can anyone tell me how to change the region sttings and they are greyed out in device manager,
it syas you cant change any more that 5 times they have never been changed. It is now set at region 1 and need be changed to region 4 as we are in Australia

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Region settings for DVD player
    « Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 01:36:41 AM »
    ojas251...... This should assist you .

To change region settings for DVD drives
    Open Device Manager.

Double-click DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the DVD drive for which you want to change region settings, and then click Properties.

On the DVD Region tab, make the appropriate changes.

Important

• Because many software decoders require Direct Memory Access (DMA) in order to function, you should check the settings of your Integrated Device Electronics (IDE) ATA/ATAPI controllers to ensure that DMA if available is selected in Transfer Mode. If applicable, you should also check this setting for the Secondary IDE Channel.

Notes

• To perform this procedure, you must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority. If the computer is joined to a domain, members of the Domain Admins group might be able to perform this procedure. As a security best practice, consider using Run as to perform this procedure. For more information, see Default local groups, Default groups, and Using Run as.

• To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, double-click Administrative Tools, double-click Computer Management, and then click Device Manager.

• The DVD Region tab might not be available for all DVD drives.

• To configure your DVD drive to play discs from other regions, select a geographic area from the list of regions. Typically, you would select the region in which you reside. It is not usually necessary to change the setting again.

• The region settings can be changed only a limited number of times. When Changes remaining equals 1, and you select a new region, an alert will be displayed warning you that after this, you will only be able to play DVDs from that region. Be aware that you might not be able to change the region setting for some DVD hardware and software decoders.

dl65  ::)

If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

ojas251

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 01:48:43 PM »
    Thank you dl65 have done all of that but still not let me change the region still greyed out and set on 1

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 01:57:19 PM »
      it syas you cant change any more that 5 times they have never been

Did you buy it new?
      Maybe the guy in the shop played with it?

ojas251

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 02:01:23 PM »
      Did you buy it new?
      Maybe the guy in the shop played with it?

It was working fine untill we put three dvd's from the usa as it it region 1 and we in australia are region 4 it now wont play region 4 disks

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »
        So you may have inadvertently used up your changes?
        There has to be a way to reset it, have you tried un-installing & re-installing it?

ojas251

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 02:58:45 PM »
        So you may have inadvertently used up your changes?
        There has to be a way to reset it, have you tried un-installing & re-installing it?

yes have tried that - have reinstalled the dvd drive but sill the same going to do a windows XP repair to see if that will fix it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 03:44:43 PM »
          ojas251....When you go into the device manager and then click on your dvd drive properties .......on the DVD region tab ....Where it says changes remaining ........what number is there ?

• The region settings can be changed only a limited number of times. When Changes remaining equals 1, and you select a new region, an alert will be displayed warning you that after this, you will only be able to play DVDs from that region. Be aware that you might not be able to change the region setting for some DVD hardware and software decoders.

have reinstalled the dvd drive but sill the same going to do a windows XP repair to see if that will fix it.

If you have exceeded the max.......a reinstall of windows will not correct the issue. And reinstalling the dvd drive will not work either , According to everything I have read .

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

The link above will defeat the region issue .   I just found it by googling.

dl65  ::)
          « Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:52:20 PM by dl65 »
          If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
            « Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 03:51:35 PM »
            How about converting the region4 videos to region1?

ojas251

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 12:28:03 PM »
            HI Every one who replied to my question with your help I have fixed the problem so once again many thanks ans A Happy New to you all  Regards Ojas

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 12:41:17 PM »
            We are keen to know what the solution was. Glad you are up and running.

ojas251

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »
            We are keen to know what the solution was. Glad you are up and running.

http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm
            I down loaded the software and it works well you can ues what ever region you need to play DVD's thanks to dl65 post.  I have just used the trail version dont know how long it will last I have saved the .exe file so could reintall if runs out.  Thanks and Happy New Year to you all :)
            « Last Edit: January 01, 2006, 01:56:20 PM by ojas251 »