Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ActiveX component can’t create object runtime error 429  (Read 6122 times)

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Guru
ActiveX component can’t create object runtime error 429
« on: November 20, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »
I'm used to answering questions here and not usually asking them, but this one really has me stumped. And I am ready to accept that this program just won't run on Windows 10.

I'm trying to get a very old program running. Something that is probably 15+ years old. The program has worked fine for this company up through Windows 7, but for some reason Windows 10 just won't run it. When attempting to run it, it gives the error "ActiveX component can’t create object runtime error 429".

Knowledge of the program is limited. The company has been using it much longer than most of its current employees have been here. Attempts to find the original programmer or the company that created it have failed. I don't even know what the proper name of the program is.

Here's what I do know:
1. The executable and installation path both indicate the name is something along the lines of "prodrpts". The installation path is ...\Prodrpts\ and the executable is called prodrpts32s.exe.

2. It works fine on Windows XP, 7, and Server 2008. The error only occurs when trying to run it on Windows 10.

3. It was a specialized program used in the wiring harness industry.

4. The error happens on Windows 10 whether running it locally or from a network share.

I have seen suggestions relating to the error, but not specifically this program, that recommend using /regserver to register the program, but this has not helped. There are no DLL or OCX files indicated in the error or present in the installation folder.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: ActiveX component can’t create object runtime error 429
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 11:48:22 PM »
Sounds like it was a Visual Basic 6 Program. As you've found the error messages are not helpful.

I presume that you did, though you did not mention whether you have tried running as Administrator? Not sure why it would need it in 10 and not 7 but hey who knows.

I found some stuff Here About it. OLEVIEW looked the most promising but I wasn't able to figure out how to use it to view the references- It wouldn't open any VB6 executables I tried. Perhaps you will have better luck?

Another perhaps more accessible idea is using a tool like Process Monitor. If you start capturing events, run the program in question, and then stop capturing events, You should be able to capture the appropriate event where the program is looking for a specific dll, executable, or ocx file and failing to load it. (There will be a lot of events but you should be able to filter it by using right click to exclude other processes or other operations.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 06:16:01 AM »
BC! Good to see you again, mate.

Yep, did try it logged in as an administrator, ran as administrator, and even tried compatibility mode for everything all the way back to XP. I'll have a look at OLEVIEW and Process Monitor. Maybe I can track down what's making it not want to work.

I think you're right about Visual Basic though. Seem to have come across a couple references to that in my search for an answer.

quaxo

Topic Starter

Guru
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 07:18:08 AM »
BC! Thanks for a nudge in the right direction.

I was able to identify the OCX and DLL files it was looking for, regsvr32 all of them, and it bloody works!

Thanks for the help, my friend!

Brooke741

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 03:29:17 AM »
    I get the same error in XP Mode. That's a Win XP with SP3 VM. This runs on a Win XP SP2 VM, is there potentially something in SP3 that would have caused this to occur? Or is it just a fact of it being XP Mode?

Brooke741

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 04:30:57 AM »
      I get the same error in XP Mode. That's a Win XP with SP3 VM. This runs on a Win XP SP2 VM, is there potentially something in SP3 that would have caused this to occur krogerfeedback? Or is it just a fact of it being XP Mode?
      [/u]

hey there, please help me resolve this error. provide any relevant solution.

Kenny521

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 10:48:58 PM »
        You said in an earlier post that your code runs on one machine and not another.

You will need to have what ever oracle package is installed on the working machine, whether this be an oracle client or drivers.

Kenny521

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »
          You said in an earlier post that your code runs on one machine and not another vivavideomaker.

You will need to have what ever oracle package is installed on the working machine, whether this be an oracle client or drivers.

Any suggestion?