Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is it my video card?  (Read 2568 times)

raris

Is it my video card?
« on: January 03, 2006, 04:44:15 AM »
I have been playing WoW for about a year now and recently have goten horable lag and soft freezes. I was told to just get a new video card but i dont wanna waste that cash if thats not the problem and it just turns out that i need more ram or something. If it does turn out that i need a new component(most likely)I have 300-350usd to spend. I have also heard that certain video cards will only run with certain computers if that is the problem? My specs are

Processor:Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4CPU 2.40GHz
Memory:510MB RAM
and im useing a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Dell4700

Re: Is it my video card?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 07:09:01 AM »
General Stuff:  I assume your system works good for non-gaming?  Otherwise, your system seems about right for most normal applications.  Gaming adds its own significant processing requirements.

If you really want serious gaming capabilities, you should upgrade your RAM and your video card, but then your processing speed is slower than most current gaming systems, so you will lag in that department.

Is it worthwhile to continue upgrading vs a new system?  Your call.  One thing is certain, game developers will still demand the latest, biggest, fastest or whatever to be competitive.

The money you have to spend is more than enough to find a good median-priced video processor, but not enough for the very high end.  Google for your PC and model and you'll find dozens of possibilities.

Specific WoW:  These are the specific requirements for Warcraft -
Recommended Requirements:
Intel Pentium IV 1.5 GHz or AMD XP 1500+
512 MB RAM
64 MB 3D graphicscard with Vertex and Pixel Shader capabilitiy, such as an NVIDIA Geforce FX5700 class card or above
Broadband Internet connection
Two-button scroll-wheel mouse
For a complete list of supported 3D cards:  http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow

Your video card does not seem to provide pixelshaders support for this game, which may account for some of your problems.  See here for more info:  http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14&p_created=1096408407&p_sid=wOxjbKrh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MyZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPXNlYXJjaF9mbmwmcF9wcm9kX2x2bDE9JnBfY2F0X2x2bDE9JnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Z2Vmb3JjZTI*&p_li

Hope this helps!

Dell

LegoLas

Beginner

Re: Is it my video card?
    « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 07:27:28 AM »
    I think. first you'd better test yiur PC with another video card, and then buy it if it's the cause.