Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: BIOS/CMOS problem  (Read 2338 times)

steeljab

BIOS/CMOS problem
« on: January 03, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »
Ok I'm running a gigabyte mobo (model 7nf rf or some such i believe)
512mb ddr400 ram
128mb nvidea mx4000
twin 80gb HDs
win98se
AMD sempron2400(1.67ghz)

i was playing with the bios(/cmos?) overclocking i changed the proccesor from 166mhz to 200mhz and the memory to %120 hti save and exit. computer will not reboot gives me a blank screen and gives one 1.5 or so second beep about every 3 seconds. i have tried putting the jumper on the CMOS_CLR (with power cord unplugged). i've also tried leaving the power unplugged overnight and the CMOS battery out. Things have not changed at all. i would really appreciate any help i can get, am i possible going to have to get a new mobo?

royphil345

Re: BIOS/CMOS problem
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:09:08 PM »
Did you try putting the jumper on the cmos - clear while the battery was out?  Might try a different memory module if all else fails. Or remove 1 at a time if you have more than 1.

steeljab

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 03:11:14 PM »
just one stick of ram, i'll try the jump and bat though

royphil345

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »
I don't know if the beeping would be translated as 1 beep or continous beeping.... But, on most mainboards they both indicate a memory problem. The continious beeping could also be a video problem. My bet is you fried the memory stick. Perhaps borrow one from someone to see for sure before you buy another.

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 04:58:26 AM »
There is a lesson here about overclocking if you don't know what you're doing.