Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard drive as Backup storage  (Read 2508 times)

Sash12

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    External Hard drive as Backup storage
    « on: January 17, 2019, 11:42:12 AM »
    hi everyone!
    last month  my PC hard drive started making clicking sound and then died.
    I lost all my info from this disk and now i decided to use external HDD as a storage for all my data.
    dont have a budget. Need stable working one.
    need your advises - Which one is good for this purpose?
    thanks)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: External Hard drive as Backup storage
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »
    Sash12,
    You  have to have a budget.
    But if you don't, you have to use what is free.
    Right now, cloud storage is free. Hard drives are not free.
    Here is a shortlist:
        Microsoft OneDrive.
        Google Drive.
        Dropbox. ©
        Amazon Drive.
        Apple iCloud.

But space is limited. Use it only for personal stuff like photos and documents.

Jack Grill

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:29:24 PM »
      There a list of external hard drive that is good for this purposes:
      -Buffalo MiniStation Extreme NFC
      -WD My Book Duo 4TB
      - Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive 5TB
      depends on what capacity and transfer speed do you looking for.
      By the way, if you lost valuable data and want a recovery it you can get free diagnostic here-> www.datarecovery.net/hard-drive-recovery.aspx
      Good luck! ;)

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:07:06 PM »
      Avoid the My Book at all costs...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:58:42 PM »
      Hi Sash,

Hopefully they installed an SSD drive if so with care it will last for years. Make sure you turn off defrag scheduler and there is no need to run defrag.

As a program for doing backups I suggest Easues Todo backup workstation: https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-workstation.html

As a external hard drive look for a drive which can take up to 4 backups minimum to know the size, go properties on the drives in your computer and add up the used space, add say another 120gb for any new data you put on the drive and the multiply the total by 5.

So say at the moment you have 65 gb used add 120gb taking it to 200gb approx * 5 so 4 backups will fit on a 1 TB hard drive with plenty of space spare.

As for a drive for the backups , this depends on the usb or other ports you have on the computer. If you have USB3, (they are normally blue usb ports) then this will be ideal.

So say a 1TB Western Digital Passport or a Transcend 1TB StoreJet 25H3P also as 1 tb

For better protection start with the Transcend and then get a second 1 TB so if one drive fails you will still have the other with backups.

Depending on how much on the computer is changing and how quickly, depends on how often the backup needs to run. In some situations people want to backup every 2 minutes others only need to backup once a week.
      Which depends on needs.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 05:30:06 AM »
      Another quick bit of advice, don't leave the backup drive connected to the machine all the time, only when you are running backups (or even better, have a pair of backup drives and only ever have one connected at a time) - That way if something were to happen such as a ransomware attack, it can't damage your backups at the same time as the main drive.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 07:36:11 AM »
      +1 to Camerons advice.

Additionally myself I have multiple external drives and my most critical data go through a drive rotation where I have my external drives labelled and so of the 5 external drives I have I constantly backup in the order of 1,2,3,4,5,1,2,3,4,5.... so that I have 4 prior backups before the recent backup. Anything that is extremely critical to not have overwritten or deleted I burn to DVD-R disc to place it in a read-only state. Every time an external drive is connected that allows read/write you have the risk that if your system has a virus on it that it can target the data on the external drive when connected.

About 20 years ago I lost a large amount of data from a virus that destroyed my data. The only data that I had that was safe was what was burn to CD-R's. I had floppies that were infected and i wasnt running an antivirus. I use to download all sorts of free and shareware software back then and one of them had a trojan that spread like fire through floppy disks. I had 5 computers infected because I thought the floppy disk was having a read problem in one computer so I put it into another, and then another system, and then was trying to use tools to gain access to my data on that floppy again not knowing that a virus was on it and mangled the data on it. I had a small fire of a problem that spread into a bigger fire of a problem because I didnt think that a virus would act like this. Each system that the floppy was placed into and disk accessed got infected. When I finally realized the problem I had I realized that I didnt have safe backups of the larger amount of my data. I put trust into having 2 systems with their hard drives storing the large amount of data and 2 systems wouldnt fail at the same time. Well this thought cost me a ton of lost data back then as for I only thought of a drive failing that 2 systems drives wouldnt fail at the same time, however both got infected at the same time, and after cleaning out the virus infection, trying to access my data after was a mess of corruption that I sadly had to just format the drives and start clean and take that loss of so much stuff I had that I created myself or downloaded off the internet through hours and hours of dialup downloads all gone.

yellow323

Greenhorn

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 08:03:02 AM »
        Using Seagate Hard drives for backup storage. No problems yet so far

Allan

• Mastermind
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »
        Seagate is not recommended these days. I'd suggest WD, Toshiba, etc.