Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New build with intermittent stuttering graduating to black screen/hard reset  (Read 2598 times)

TwoOrThreeQuestions

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Having some serious trouble with this its really only my 3rd build with minor work on each of those in between and the last one was probably 8 years ago.  I've never really had any issues with those builds and this has me at the end of my rope.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Build first:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Hex Core
    Motherboard - MSI - X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX M4
    RAM - G - Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 X 16) DDR4 - 3200
    Storage - Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2 SSD
    GPU - EVGA  - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    PSU - Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 W ATX Power Supply
    Case - Rosewill Cullinen

All parts are new except for the PSU and the GPU which I swapped off of my previous build.  Graphics cards only a little over a year old but the PSU is running on awhile my last build is about 8 years old.

Assembled the parts and started installing Windows 10.  I've reinstalled Windows 4 times now and I've begun to notice the symptoms during the install but on the first 2 times failed to notice it.  I may not have been wearing my headphones because the stalling starts off very short and can only really be noticed with audio playing.  After fresh install updated windows/drivers and started downloading programs and when I started playing music that is when I began picking up on the stutters for the first time.  Starts off every several minutes with increasing frequency and severity over time.  Tried to load up a game and it was completely unplayable as the stutters get much more severe and frequency increases greatly.

Tried a fresh install symptoms persisted.

Did a little research and found that after the creator update Windows 10 had issues with clearing RAM and the newest version from Windows Insider would fix it (version 1809) but updating to that didn't work either.

There were a few scripts/.exe's out there that apparently fix the problem with Windows and RAM but none of those were successful either.

Ran a memory diagnostic test through Windows that came up with no issues.

Someone on another forum suggested a second stick of RAM for stability which didn't sound like it would work but hey, I was desperate and wanted 32 GB's anyway.  Obviously didn't solve the issue.

During all of this I've been running CAM diagnostic tools and have not noticed any high temps or anything else to worry about.

At this point I've tried everything my very limited knowledge base can come up with and things seem to be getting worse.  Hangups now blackscreen and a few times I've had to hard reset this happened on the most resent install during GPU driver installation.  At first I thought it was a software issue but with the way things are going it might be hardware but I honestly don't know enough to accurately determine anything from here.  All help appreciated!!!

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    From what you have posted I would guess the problem might be the power supply. Simply testing the power supply with a voltmeter is not always enough. The power supply might have a noise problem which would only show up on the oscilloscope. And of course, the good oscilloscope will cost a lot more than a decent power supply. If you are an experienced builder, surely you must have another power supply handy that you can use for testing. Good to have a spare.
    As for RAM, Windows 10 should work just fine on 4 GB. In fact, it works okay on one gigabyte, but maybe a little slow. I would suggest try using less RAM, not more.
    Do you have another GPU you could use just for testing?
    Have you done an exhaustive test on your hard disk drive? Do you have another hard drive you could use just to see?
    The fact that you have tried to install Windows 10 four times would indicate that there is something very wrong with your system. Possibly you have a bad copy of Windows 10. Can you use another computer to download a copy of Windows 10 that is known to be reliable? Even an older version of Windows 10, even one that is  over a year old, still should work good.

Here's something you can do, but only as a diagnostic. Get a good copy of one dollar Linux demo  DVDs. A recent version of Ubuntu or Linux mint should work fine. But now if Linux has some trouble installing, you probably have a serious hardware problem.
    Even when temps appear to be okay you can have hotspots that will cause failures. Especially in RAM. To spot a bad temp in a RAM stick you would have to have a thermal probe to see how hot the RAM gets. Or just use some other RAM sticks
    when testing RAM sticks you can take sometimes an hour or more to be billed catch a problem. This is especially true if the RAM is overheating. The RAM has to be perfect, close is not good enough.

Also, testing your hard disk drive should be a vigorous test that tests every sector on the hard drive. This can take quite a while.
    I assume you have another computer handy to help you get a fresh download of Windows 10. In your tool chest you should already have an older copy of Windows 10 on a DVD. Like maybe 1609, oldie but a  good one.
    That's all I can think of.

I hope this gives you some ideas.   :)
    End of dictation.

TwoOrThreeQuestions

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Really appreciate your help looks like it was the power supply.  Without you saying that it would have been one of the last things I would have thought of because it performed fine in my last system.  Not sure how it went bad but things are smooth as ever now.  Once again thanks for the info you've saved me a lot of time and continued frustration.

Thanks!!

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      Hi

What bios revision is the motherboard running it needs to be after version 7A32v1F for the M2 and CPU you have to work reliably. This bios was dated  2018-03-29.

If it is older . Then here is how to update the bios https://www.msi.com/page/biosflash

Also here is the list of the BIOS revisions and why they were released  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Hi

What bios revision is the motherboard running it needs to be after version 7A32v1F for the M2 and CPU you have to work reliably. This bios was dated  2018-03-29.

If it is older . Then here is how to update the bios https://www.msi.com/page/biosflash

Also here is the list of the BIOS revisions and why they were released  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON

Sounds like it's been solved...see above.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      Hi

Yes TwoOrThreeQuestions said replacing the power supply fixed the problem agreed, But where is the harm on a new build to check the configuration for compatibility ? . With new CPU's and motherboards it is important to check bios revisions and check if they need updating .
      Perhaps this is why bios updates are now supported from the uefi setup.

Patio you seem to be more about discrediting some volunteers and letting others spouting  irrelevant  rubbish to  go unchallenged. I wonder why ?

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Not at all...i just see what i see.
      Sorry you see it that way.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      Lisa_mareem,
      I think your post contributed to this thread.
      The info you gave is specific  to his build.
      For  most DIY builds, trying a new PSU  is the best choice. The fact that he was using a older PSU gave rise to my remark. And still, he may have other issues.  8)