Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Optical Disc Drive Disappeared from BIOS and Device Manager  (Read 3719 times)

RetroGuy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Optical Disc Drive Disappeared from BIOS and Device Manager
    « on: November 30, 2018, 05:37:59 PM »
    Toshiba Satellite P770 64 bit Win 7 SP1 Home Premium.

After adding Picture Manager to MS Office 2003 using the optical disc, the DVD/CD entry disappeared from Device Manager and the BIOS listed the ODD as not present. The drive does spin up when I put a disc in but no data. The connector looks good. A known good drive acts the same.

Some time ago, I read something on a Microsoft site that said this problem could occur after updating Microsoft software. I have not been able to find that reference again.

Unless the Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller is the only entry that is supposed to be listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI, the DVD/CD ATAPI Controllers also disappeared. There were no error messages.

When I right click the computer in Devices and Printers, there is an exclamation point next to Troubleshoot. When I follow the link, it says 'Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem'. I click 'View detailed information', and get 'Problem with PnP devices' with no usable information.

One time, I had a single, fleeting message in the notification area that said something like 'Toshiba Power Saver Optical Drive Turned Off'. I checked all the settings and they appeared to be set correctly. => Power Options - Select a power plan - Balanced - Change plan settings - Change advanced power settings - Toshiba Power Saver Settings V8.9.7.64 - Optical Drive power management - On battery: On and Plugged in: On.

I did find an associated service: TODDSrv.exe - Toshiba Optical Disc Drive. Known file sizes on Windows 10/8/7/XP are 114,688 bytes (71% of all occurrences), 129,632 bytes, 128,344 bytes or 128,416 bytes. (From www.file.net/process/toddsrv.exe) The version on my computer was 136 KB - not a match - so I removed it. No help. I put it in a safe place.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I followed the MS site titled:
    Your CD or DVD drive is not recognized by Windows or other programs
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs

The Hardware and Sound Troubleshooter found nothing when run in configuration mode.

The BIOS lists the ODD as not present.

Device Manager:
    The DVD/CD-ROM drives entry is missing so there were no error codes. That prevents me from updating or reinstalling the CD driver.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI, the ATA Channel 0 and ATA Channel 1 controllers don't exist so I 'm unable to remove and reinstall the drivers.

The only entry under IDE ATA/ATAPI is the Intel Mobile Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller. I deleted it. Rebooting correctly reinstalled it. I was not able to uninstall / reinstall anything else.

Scan for hardware changes is no longer in the Action tab in Device Manager. The only thing there is Help.

Reg entries:
    Removed both UpperFilters and LowerFilters from the CD ROM entry in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\

When I first started troubleshooting this problem, there was only one filter and I deleted it. I don't remember which filter it was.

I added the ATAPI Controller0 EnumDevice1 registry subkey to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi

Still no ODD detected in the BIOS or in Device Manager (and, it's not listed under Other devices)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Optical Disc Drive Disappeared from BIOS and Device Manager
    « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
    The drive is dead...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

RetroGuy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »
      A known good drive acts the same.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 08:44:15 PM »
      Not sure what that means...but OK.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »
      The Toshiba Satellite P770 uses a SATA connection for the Optical Drive, and does not have any ATA controllers; this is why you do not see them listed in Device Manager- That is normal.

The drive not appearing in the BIOS suggests strongly to me that the issue is not related to Windows. Registry, services, etc. only affect the drive function while Windows is running.

As the drive lights up and will spin discs, that tells us that it is receiving power. However all the other problems are consistent with there being no Data connection between the drive and the Laptop, particularly as a known-good drive exhibits the same problem. What I would suspect is that the SATA connection between the Optical Drive Bay and the motherboard has failed, or something has failed within the SATA controller chip that prevents the appropriate SATA channel for the drive from functioning.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
      Set up the drive as an external USB  and see what happens.
      Get one of these kits:

.. from Amazon and others.

RetroGuy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »
        @BC_Programmer

Thank you for your input.  I like your logic. 

My experience is primarily IBM 370 Assembler language.

This problem started around last April.  I believe there were problems with updates at that time. 
        I found a Microsoft site that said this problem could occur after updating Microsoft software using the ODD. 

Are you aware of any update kbs that may have caused this? 

"The drive not appearing in the BIOS strongly suggests to me that the issue is not related to Windows. 
        Registry, services, etc. only affect the drive function while Windows is running."

I agree, not appearing in the BIOS is usually an indication of a hardware problem. 
        That reference on the MS site causes me to think there are other possibilities.

Your reasoning is strong.  Consider though: 
        At one point, after applying DriverPackSolutions, The ODD reappeared for a short time and then disappeared again.

From DevManView, the CD/DVD Device Instance ID is listed as:
        IDE\CdRomTSSTcorp_CDDDVDW_TS_L633F____________TF01___\4&3b404081&0&0.1.0

I believe DevManView got this info from the registry at: HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Enum/IDE\CdRomTSSTcorp
        To my untrained eye, it looks good.

The cdrom.inf identifies the drive as:    [Manufacturer]
                    %MITSUMI%         = mitsumi_cdrom,NTamd64

But the markings on the drive say Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology  DVD Writer Model TS L633(B).

I now have a persistent icon in the notification area that says 'Optical Drive Power: OFF'

"These problems are consistent with there being no Data connection between the drive and the Laptop,
        particularly as a known-good drive exhibits the same problem."

"I suspect the SATA connection between the Optical Drive Bay and the motherboard has failed,"

I cleaned the SATA contacts. They looked good.

"or something has failed within the SATA controller chip that prevents the appropriate SATA channel for the drive from functioning."

This is something I would like to look at. Can you suggest a way for me to troubleshoot the SATA controller?

It appears the computer sees the device and Microsoft seems to have admitted to possibly having had a hand in causing the problem.
        « Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:39:56 PM by RetroGuy »

niketathakare

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 03:28:42 AM »
          Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
          The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)
          A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)
          Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
          Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
          This issue may have occurred after one of the following situations:
          You upgrade the Windows operating system.
          You install or uninstall CD or DVD recording programs.
          You uninstall Microsoft Digital Image.
          There are various reasons why a CD or DVD drive is not detected. The resolutions that are listed in this article may help solve some instances but not all instances of this problem.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
          • Geek After Dark
            • Gekk9pm bnlog
          « Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »
          You need to verify that the Optical drive is really good.
          Use of an external adapter, as I said earlier, will do two things:
          1) Confirm the optical drive is not the problem.
          2) Provide workaround if the error is with cables, controller  BIOS or  a rare esoteric issue that cannot be identified with usual methods.

RetroGuy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:10 PM »
            @niketathakare
            @Geek-9pm
            Thank you both for your input.  I saw the article niketathakare cites.  There is no CD/DVD entry in Device Manager so there are no codes displayed.  I have been doing searches on the other wording in each of those entries - unsuccessfully.
            I am trying to locate an external adapter to use to test the drive outside the computer in which it does not work.
            Thanx

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 10:37:34 PM »
            I found this on Amazon...

External power supply and USB adapter for CD-Rom and Hard Drives.

This thing lets you provisionally use a HDD Optical drive outside of the computer.

I have used this whenever I have trouble with a drive in the computer.Works good. But it is ugly and is for emergency use. Works with either SATA or ATA interfaces.
            It does not depend of the BIOS. Windows 7 and Windows 10 will recognize this adapter and install drivers instantly.

Everybpdy needs oneof these for computer troubleshooting.

RetroGuy

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 06:16:19 PM »
              @Geek-9pm
              I appreciate your help. Thank you.

I was able to verify that the ODD is truly good.  I plugged it into another computer's SATA and tested both
              CD and DVD. I only tested the read function. I was able to view a file structure for each.  The ODD is good. 

I know the external connection is a good alternative solution except that this is a borrowed
              computer and I am obligated to return it in the same condition it was in when I borrowed it.
              Thank you for your input.

I think the main players in this problem are MS, because of the comment I saw on their website about
              MS software possibly causing this scenario after adding a feature to MS Office 2003 using the ODD and
              Toshiba Power Saver which continues to tell me the power to the ODD is off when all the settings
              indicate it's on and then would not turn it on when I clicked the option to turn it back on.

I think it's a software issue.