Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: GB Smart FAN Control - auto or PWM?  (Read 5843 times)

Mac20nine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
GB Smart FAN Control - auto or PWM?
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:09:58 AM »
I replaced my PWM fan on the HSF and I'm a little confused about Smart FAN Control as Gigabyte calls it. I do not OC and I game very infrequently. So I believe I should use 'cpu smart fan control' in the Bios (enabled) and set 'cpu smart fan mode' to auto or PWM.

PWM is preferable as this is a PWM 4p fan. Also I see I want to switch to 'balanced' in my Windows 7 Pro power management scheme (and enable C1E and DRAM power down in Bios).

Question: The manual shows fan mode 'auto' means bios sets optimal mode. I presume that means between 'voltage' or 'PWM' and since this is a 4p fan it will use PWM mode. Is that correct?

Question 2: Should I NOT use 'Cool & Quiet' while control is set to auto or PWM? Would there be any difference or benefit to setting mode to auto vs. PWM?

Lastly, lowering fan speed while surfing, etc. would be a benefit. If I would prefer not delving into bios every time I want to game would it be best to set mode to PWM and then just alter my Windows power management scheme back to high performance?

Thank you,

Mac

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
Re: GB Smart FAN Control - auto or PWM?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:48:41 PM »
I always set Cool n'Quiet to enabled. This will underclock the CPU when processing power is not needed which will make it run cooler and cost less on electric bill in electricity. I would set fans to auto and through the process it should calibrate the fans that it is set to automatic speed on. Through the process usually it will show an RPM indicator on the BIOS screen for this and it starts off at 0 RPMs and then it increments the PWM signal and it senses the fan speed in relation to the PWM setting. After its calibrated the fan will go back to slower speed and your system is ready to use.

I haven't seen any performance loss out of setting Cool n' Quiet to enabled. I have seen Cool n' Quiet clock my systems to like 700 Mhz and then jump around to 1400Mhz and 2100Mhz and 2800Mhz and basically whatever is running is weighed on how much processing power is needed to complete it. So If your watching a streaming movie for example you might see it jumping around between 700Mhz and 1400Mhz but when you launch a game it may go direct from 700Mhz to 2800Mhz and no lag in response when launching the game. Its able to jump from 700Mhz to 2800Mhz in a very small fraction of a second and the system never lags out when underclocked or gaming as a result of this.

I'd say the only reason to have to not use Cool n' Quiet would be if you wrote a program that you want to have executed at maximum clock speed of say 2800Mhz and you notice that the end result is slower to come up with an answer to it because its a single-threaded program and Cool n'Quiet doesnt detect it as a serious program to have to justify running it at 2800Mhz and its running it in an underclocked state.

However I create programs in C++ which is single-threaded execution for console apps and never had a need yet to disable Cool n'Quiet. And actually to get the most processing power out of my 8-Core CPU when running single-threaded programs, instead of using an 8th of the processing power of the FX-8350 4.0Ghz with one instance of the program running, I wanted to look for a needle in the hay stack of a problem that could be in the algorithm of the code I was using and so I set the scope of where I was targeting 1 billion 32-bit keys to be tested at 125 million keys per core, so I ran 8 instances of my program on the 8-core system and set the first to run from 1 to 125 million and then the next core to run through 125 million and 1 to 250 million and so on until the 8th core was set to run 875 million to 1 billion, and the system ran through all those keys using string compares and other methods within the code to look for weak keys within the first 1 billion keys of a 32-bit key. During this process Cool n'Quiet was enabled and the system ran non stop for a few days at 4000Mhz and all cores pegged to 100% utilization.  I had Windows 7 64-bit installed on that system and a CPU Monitor Gadget running that displayed the CPU activity and Memory activity so I can quickly see how the system is handling running my program of 8 instances of the same program running and each set with core affinity to their specific cores.

Lastly setting fans on auto will keep the systems cleaner from dust and hair. Lesser air flow going through the system vs a constant high volume airflow. As well as the fan life is greater for cooling fans that wear out and eventually fail, so having them spin slower or not as often as full speed makes them last longer. The system is very good at self monitoring its temperatures and quickly cooling itself to not damage anything so no worries of anything overheating as a result of fans set to AUTO in BIOS.

Mac20nine

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 03:09:33 PM »
Dave thanks. Don't know why I didn't get an email. Ended up doing aok for 3 days w/fan on auto but after I switched to PWM it froze and I thought the mobo was borked. Turns out PWM did something to the 965 cpu but switching it out allowed a good boot.

Really appreciate learning what you think about Cool n' Quiet. Still can't believe I hosed a cpu from 2-3 hours of surfing but I seem to have my main system back.

Thank you.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 08:13:26 AM »
Curious if your board was only rated for 95 watt TDP CPU and you were running the Phenom II 965 which is a 125 watt TDP CPU. I have seen boards have 125 watt CPU's listed as supported and then you look further and it states like 95 watt CPU maximum.

I haven't seen CPUs roast in ages. Intel and AMD CPUs have throttling built into them so that if they run too hot they will throttle performance to reduce heat. However it is possible to have a CPU that is too heavy for VRM's etc.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3015397/amd-phenom-965-throttling-stock-speeds.html

Which CPU did you switch to to be healthy running again?