Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Wanna go back to 1809  (Read 10771 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Wanna go back to 1809
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:59:14 PM »
Windows 10 updates have hit me hard. No I can not suet off the PC. And only one user account has administrator level. I don't understand how this happened.

I want to go back to 1809 before the updates. So I did a download of the ISO.
Somehow the ISO was not in downloads. And the media creator wants to ha NET framework 2. 

Anyway, I finally got things together. I forgot how hard it is to use the free tools MS makes available. Why does burning a ISO have to be so hard?

But here is my question: If I do get back to 1809, how to I prevent windows updates for making my computer life unstable? I am on the insider program and I think I better jump off pronto.   ;D

Any Advice? Please?   :-\

Mark.

Adviser
  • Forum Regular
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Wanna go back to 1809
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 01:14:30 AM »
do you mean back to 1809 build 17763.1 ?   (latest being .253)
I downloaded a new image file using the MS Media Creation Tool a week ago and that image gives to 17763.175 (or there-about)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
I am on the insider program. Which should tell you I am not very smart.  :-[
I downloaded a new copy of what they call 1809. The version is totally  confusing and I have not idea what t means.  ???
Common sense would indicate that its not a complete build.
The build number is 18290.1000 and I was told in school that you never put trailing zero on a decimal friction, unless it is currency. :P

Anyway, I am ruining it.  Something must be wrong with it.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 06:48:07 PM »
18290.1000 is an Insider Preview Build.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »
A special program I like will crash on the insider. The vendor does not have a fix.
But it used to work on earlier versions of Windows 10. So I got a new coy of 1809 and so far it does not crash. So maybe it is OK now. Or not.

How cam I get a recent build that is not the insider?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »
I downloaded a new copy of what they call 1809. The version is totally  confusing and I have not idea what t means.  ???
The "version" that is part of the name is just YYMM for the initial availability. 1809 is the "October Update" from last year. eg. 9th month of 2018

The build number is 18290.1000 and I was told in school that you never put trailing zero on a decimal friction, unless it is currency.
As you should know version numbers aren't decimals. 18290.1000 is a later version than 18290.999. The decimal/period is merely a separator for the different parts of the version which are (effectively) the place values.

Given your use case you should not join the Insider program (Reinstalling may have effectively done so, but you might want to double-check). Unless you know there are specific features you need (And it sounds like you have the opposite issue), or you want to be the guinea pig filling in for Microsoft's laid off QA Staff, it doesn't make sense.

The option to leave is found in Settings, Updates & Security, and on the left "Windows Insider Program" where there is an option to stop receiving insider builds (or start getting them, if you aren't).

The latest "Stable" Windows 10 ISO can be found here. Currently this is 17763.253.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »
Thank you, BC. I am now doing a new download as an ISO file. The download says it was a version released in October 2018.  8)
I will burn it to DVD so I will always have it on hand. Whenever I pit something on a USB stick it gees used for something else.   :'(

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »
Update:
I got the 1803.  That was from April last year. Not the Insider.
I put it on a spare drive and it works fine. But I am not going to replace what I have. What I already have on my main PC now seems to be stable.  :)