Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dial-up modem problems  (Read 2149 times)

Deicide764

Dial-up modem problems
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:01:38 PM »
I have a computer with Windows XP Pro install.  After trying to install Aol, Msn, and NetZero, I came to the conclusion the modem wasn't working properly.  All three softwares pop up an error of "non working modem or the modem is busy."  Up to this point, I install the modem on the windows xp pro onto another computer and the modem work fine.  The other working modem that I have on the Windows ME computer, I install it onto the windows xp pro computer but it didn't work there either.  When I try to check the modem properties on the Device manager on the windows xp pro computer, the device mangaer won't pop up the list of hardware, it will just stay blank, so I can't check the modem or other hardware devices on the device manganer.  But when I check the modem under the control panel, it tells me that there is no modem install.  What confuse me a lot is that when I open up the System Information, it does mention the modem that is supposely install.  Can anybody please help me figure out what's wrong?...THANKS

Computer_Commando

Re: Dial-up modem problems
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:44:37 PM »
Since 2 different modems refuse to work on the same computer, try installing the modem in a different slot.

Deicide764

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 01:49:31 PM »
I install the modem on the three PCI slots that the computer has and it didn't work.  I don't know if the problem with the device manager has to do something with the computer not recognizing both working modems.  Is there any utility out there that I could use to find out if for sure the modem is install on the computer or not?  And what could cause for the device manager on the Windows XP Pro system not to display the hardware install on the computer?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 02:38:07 PM »
    Try using the Internet Connection Wizard.