Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: hd not recognized  (Read 3851 times)

Guyjam

hd not recognized
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:42:52 AM »
My computer runs Windows XP and I have a Maxtor hd which is partitioned into a "G" and an"H" drive.  I shut the system down and when it was restarted it does not access the "H" drive.  I can see the drive when I select "My Computer" but any attempt to access is brings back an error message saying that the drive is not formatted and asking if I need to format it.  I can however access the "G" drive and everything on it.   Any suggestions for a solution to this problem?
Thanks

GX1_Man

Re: hd not recognized
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 09:38:46 AM »
So you have two physical hard drives in the machine?

Usually C is the main boot drive, so let us know how this computer is set up for a good response.

Guyjam

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 04:23:51 PM »
I do have two physical hard drives - both Maxtors.  One is partitioned into a "C" and a "D" - the latter used as a backup.  My operating system resides on the "C".  
My other hard drive is partitioned into a "G" and an "H" drive.  I can access information on everything but the "H" drive.

Just for information, the other drives "E" and "F" are a CD Rom and DVD respectively.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:20:53 PM »
OK, that helps. What happened prior to all of this? I ask because frequently we hear that it was "out of the blue", then days later we are revealed that there were hands inside the case, something was foolishly deleted, etc. Things that do make a difference.

Guyjam

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 08:20:20 PM »
No "hands inside the case" in this case.  The computer is usually left on and running all the time.  In this case it was just shutdown and left overnight.  Next day, on start up the regular wall paper did not appear and on checking, found that I could not access the "H" drive.  What is strange is that I can access the "G" drive which is the other partition of the same physical hard drive.
If I go to "MY COMPUTER" and select the "H" drive icon the following happens
1) If I double click on the H-drive icon, I get a message saying
"H:\ is not accessible
The parameter is incorrect"
2) If I right click on the H-drive icon and select properties, I see that the file system is RAW.  It also shows that the entire drive is used but indicated that the used space and free space both have 0 bytes.
3) If I right click on the H-drive icon and select "Open", I get a message saying
"The disk in H is not formatted
Do you want to format it now?"

When I select the G-drive icon and select properties, the file system shows as NTFS and it shows both used and free space.

Hope this provides more useful information.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 08:41:43 PM »
I am not sure how this happened then, probably some  incorrect paramater when formatted. WHen was the last time this was done - the whole drive partitioned and formatted? Wasa it originanlly installed in this case and then used, or did it come from a previous sytem, etc?

Are there files on the H Drive you need if his has to be partitioned and/or formatted again, as it appears necessary?

Guyjam

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 09:04:16 PM »
This was a new drive that was installed in September.  It was partitioned and formatted then and everything seemed to work well.  And "Yes" my concern is that there are files which I would like to be able to recover on this drive if possible.  If I have to reformat it I know they will be lost.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 04:26:28 AM »
You might, as I always suggest, try booting the machine with a Linux LIVE CD and copy the files elsewhere with that.

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/distro.php?distro=58

Guyjam

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 05:12:32 AM »
That sounds like an excellent idea that I'd like to try.  My question now is where and how do I get a Linux LIVE CD?  I know there are many versions of Linux available but don't know anything about them.

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »
Click on the link above and download the ISO file. Then use Nero or some similar program which can burn an ISO to CD. This will make a bootable CD disc. Just restart the machine with this CD in the drive.

Guyjam

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 11:40:03 AM »
Thanks very much for your help but my problem was solved on the advice of a friend who suggested trying check disk.  I did and used the /f parameter.  The problem was solved there and then.

GX1_Man

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 05:20:30 PM »
Be sure and keep that data backed up!!!  ;)

Guyjam

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 05:36:23 PM »
Yes, I will and Thanks Very Much again