Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WindowsME Issues...  (Read 2405 times)

acorbelli

WindowsME Issues...
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:30:17 PM »
I've got a WindowsME machine (not my machine) that I've been working on. It has been "freezing" (particularly during long periods of inactivity) as well as running slowly, and crashing more often than usual for the past few months.

The owner of said machine does not want to reformat/reinstall, and (though I thought ME came with this) his CD does not have the ability to do the "overlay" installation (where all files and settings are preserved except the Windows ones which need to be reinstalled...).

I have run a virus scanner and adware removers (AVG AntiVirus, Spybot S&D, AdAware) and found the computer to be clean (dial-up connection, little to no internet use, no 'surfing').

Anyone have any ideas for this computer? As I said, a reinstall is the LAST option as far as he is concerned (bad experience with his old tech which cost him on the upwards of $15,000).

/EDIT/
I forgot to mention, the computer has 128MB RAM and is only using appx. 20% of that on average. This computer basically runs nothing, just acts as a file server to a Win98 and a Win95 machine.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 12:49:25 PM by acorbelli »

Dell4700

Re: WindowsME Issues...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:56:38 PM »
Welcome to Windows ME!

Seriously, here are a few ideas -

- make sure there are no hardware issues.  RAM is adequate and not mismatched or faulty;  drives are defragged and correctly configured with up-to-date drivers and settings;  PCI, AGP, USB, etc. interfaces and drivers are installed correctly;  graphics are working correctly and are properly set for his monitor, usage and memory;  check power requirements for installed hardware and verify power supply is adequate (30% minimum margin of safety);  and run some good hardware evaluation tests (memory, processor, graphics, etc.).

- make sure there are no software issues.  Check running background and startup processes.  Remove, disable or stop unnecessary background programs (AOL, Office, MSN, Norton, etc.).  Run your malware scanners again.  Check BIOS and verify all settings.

I'd also recommend a clean OS reinstallation, but you say this is not an option?  Too bad, 'cause this can really improve things.

I'm sure there are countless other tips and tricks to improve performance.  Google for them and you will be amazed.

If you need help or more info on any of the above, let us know.

Dell

acorbelli

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 01:18:47 PM »
Welcome to Windows ME!
- make sure there are no hardware issues.  RAM is adequate and not mismatched or faulty;  drives are defragged and correctly configured with up-to-date drivers and settings;  PCI, AGP, USB, etc. interfaces and drivers are installed correctly;  graphics are working correctly and are properly set for his monitor, usage and memory;  check power requirements for installed hardware and verify power supply is adequate (30% minimum margin of safety);  and run some good hardware evaluation tests (memory, processor, graphics, etc.).

- make sure there are no software issues.  Check running background and startup processes.  Remove, disable or stop unnecessary background programs (AOL, Office, MSN, Norton, etc.).  Run your malware scanners again.  Check BIOS and verify all settings.

To your first note, everything has been functioning correctly for 5 years with the current settings which would lead me to believe that since this is a recent development it is not mismatched hardware. Not to mention that he's using 20% of his memory, and his HD has 50% capacity left.

I would posit the same note to the software issues as well. The only software running is the ones he wants running at all times, and the same software that has been running (besides AOL updates, bleh) since he set up the computer. I suggested removing AOL, but he doesn't want to learn anything new.

My malware scanners were run multiple times, his BIOS settings are fine, his startup settings are ok (he uses AOL, which I consider to be bad...but to each his own, eh?).

Not to mention that I've used an ME computer before which showed this type of behavior when some of the Windows files became corrupt, and when the registry bogged down. Our fix was reinstallation.

But, like I said, reinstallation and upgrades are not an option he wants to pursue. I know it's like he's asking me to remove a head sized tumor without cutting him open, but he's a friend of the family and a good guy so I thought I'd research my options with a more "holistic medicine" approach.

acorbelli

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 04:18:45 PM »
S.M.A.R.T Is enabled, I believe. Though I just read about some interesting side effects that might be caused by that so I will disable it.

Is there a good way to test the integrity of the hard drive? They're not expensive, but he'll see this as a reinstall situation (where files have to be backed up, etc...) and try to avoid it. And personally, I'd like to avoid it as well if it's unnecessary.

I know 128 is low, and adding memory would not be a bad idea (he's really not running anything on that computer, it just serves the occasional file) but I don't think it's the root of the problem.

Thanks for the input guys! Please keep it comin!

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 04:22:12 PM »

That is exactly correct. I agree with everyone else that reinstallattion is the best option, but for hard headed people who have faith in Microsoft and not their techs, read through Trev's Tweaks, the best treatise on the subject:

http://computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/36435.html

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 04:24:27 PM »
[quote ] reinstallation and upgrades are not an option he wants to pursue. I know it's like he's asking me to remove a head sized tumor without cutting him open[/quote]

That is exactly correct. I agree with everyone else that reinstallattion is the best option, but for hard headed people who have faith in Microsoft and not their techs, read through Trev's Tweaks, the best treatise on the subject:

http://computing.net/windowsme/wwwboard/forum/36435.html