Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What an adapter to use for replacing DVD drive in notebook by harddisk?  (Read 1942 times)

MIRKOSOFT

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Hi!

I got on this forum suggestion how to add to notebook else one harddisk.
    Simply by replacing DVD drive by harddisk.

I disassembled notebook and found connector for DVD drive.
    Look at image - what an adapter to use to connect there 44-pin IDE HDD? Notebook supports natively IDE HDDs, so I think SATA is not possible.
    For information notebook model is HP Compaq Evo N1000v.

Thank you for all, everything.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: What an adapter to use for replacing DVD drive in notebook by harddisk?
    « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:11:37 PM »
    Short answer: No.
    Long answer. There is no mass-produced adapter. Best chance is only if the OEM did it. It is some kind of proprietary connector usage.Of course,you could just tear it out and make your own connector.

Proprietary.
    Something that is used, produced, or marketed under exclusive legal right of the inventor or maker.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:52:39 AM »

I got on this forum suggestion how to add to notebook else one harddisk.
    Simply by replacing DVD drive by harddisk.

This is a modern idea when both drives are SATA .There is mounts which take a SATA drive and converts it to the same dimensions as a sata DVD drive.

As you need an ide adapter these weren't made, the good news is you can fit an ssd drive to the laptop so long as it is smaller than 160 gb this is a limitation of the chipset in your laptop.

If you google:  M.2 NGFF SATA SSD to 2.5 IDE Converter Adapter With Case you should be able to get one for less than $20.00 plus the M2 drive.

Or attach a drive to the firewire port. Then you can have TB's of storage.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Salmon Trout

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 03:06:15 AM »
    Google is your friend. Keyword 'caddy'. Example:

HARD DISK DRIVE caddy bay for HP Compaq Evo n1000c n1000v n1005c n1020v DV6800 DV6900 Series laptop

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-compaq-evo-n1000v.html

It's 12.7mm IDE Second HDD Caddy, comes without bezel, you can get it from the old opital drive, free a cross head screwdriver
    By replacing your optical drive, you can install up to a 1 TB hard drive in this enclosure to increase your available storage space.